UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sharm El Sheikh

gooster

Has anyone been here recently? Have got a week off at the end of the month, and am thinking of using some money I have saved up to go somewhere sunny for a week. Been into one travel agents who suggested Tunisia or Benidorm. Having checked the weather, it is not going to be bikini on a beach weather in either of those places. Went into a different travel agent today, who suggested Sharm el Sheikh. I was a bit dubious about Egypt, due to the recent unrest in Cairo, but she said that Cairo is over 7 hours away from Sharm el Sheikh. I am not bothered about going out exploring, all I want is to lie and chill in the sun for a week. The agent recommended a hotel that is totally self contained, and across the road from the sister hotel with a private beach that a shuttle bus goes to. Looking on trip advisor, the hotel also operates a red flag policy, which you can wave if someone is bothering you and the hotel staff will deal with them.

My other option would be the canaries, but have been there a few times, and tbh, I think a lone female will attract attention wherever you go, and the canaries aren't as resort centred.

So, has anyone been, and have any experiences, good, bad or indifferent?

We went there a few years ago. We stayed at a hotel called Tropicana and went all inclusive. The hotel is very impressive and VERY clean with nice food as well. The entertainment was just ok. though. The are 2 pools and a short walk down the hill to the private beach which supplies the towels. The water is warm and very healing if you have eczema. Our holiday coincided with another countries annual holiday (can't remember who, russian I think) and they are the rudest people on the planet.

If you are not going to go to Cairo ect then don't bother getting any visa's at the airport. We got them thinking it was compulsory to have them but never used them. Also if you go into the big town then you will get hassled to buy from everyones shops.

One amusing thing was that when we got to the hotel, those brits that smoked got off the coach and went to one side to puff away before going in. However they were soon herded through the doors by the hotel staff saying that in their country you were allowed to smoke inside the building. :laugh:

I would say that if you can go then do so but make sure you do stay at one that has a walk straight down to its own beach. There are plenty of them but not all.

Thanks guys, have booked to go there. Am staying at sunrise garden view which is by soho square. It is all inclusive and you can use the facilities at the sister hotel across the other side of the square. The sister hotel has a private beach we can use too. :)

Good on you for booking and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Just one word of warning tho. When I was on the beach one day I found a small shell that I decided to take home as a keepsake and packed it nice and snug in the suitcase. On the coach journey to the airport the fella that says about I hope you enjoyed the holiday blah de blah then said about it is illegal to take anything from the beaches as they are all man made and it is forbidden to take shells ect. Oh how hubby and I sweated when the case went through the x-ray machine. I was as terrified as if I had a case full of drugs. Thankfully we got home and the first thing I did was to throw away the shell that was no bigger than my fingernail.

HAPPY HOLS!