UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Mice

collies r best

A few days ago we took on a pet mouse advertised as free with cage and accessories, got there and found the 'accessories' were obviously his two brothers :rolleyes: :laugh: They're lovely boys easy to handle but they absolutely stink :unsure: I know male mice smell but they are strong to say the least. Their cage is 2 habitrail domes which we can and will expand on but i was thinking of changing their cage to a wire one as ventilation will be better but searching on internet it seems its not recommended to change males cage as they may fight and become territorial in the new one which will result in them being seperated. So any ideas on how to have less pongy boys or are

they just marking more due to the stress of being moved and will settle soon.

Forgot to add they are approx 7-8 months old.

Edited by collies r best

I used to keep mice, always favoured girl mice as the boys do stink!! What bedding are they on at the moment? You might find a horse bedding like megazorb absorbs the smell a bit better than shavings (which recent research says you shouldn't keep them on anyway, so I've heard!).

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i'd update this, the boys are now all seperate :( Coffee beat up and bit Toffee quite badly one night so we seperated Coffee but yesterday morning Honey was attacking Toffee really badly. Poor Toffee is so friendly and yet again covered in bites and bleeding. I've now changed their cages as well so they're now living in wire cages with plastic bases and the smell is much reduced :biggrin: They've got branches etc and enjoy climbing and seem to be happier in their new set ups. Shame i had to seperate them but was left with no alternative :(