UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Trees That Need Chopping A Bit

Jacobean

We're surrounded by trees. Mostly Birch trees but various other types. Some come under the responsibility of the council but loads of them are ours. Which is the best month of the year to cut them back please? I imagine it will be a pretty expensive job so will have to do a couple at a time. I've got one with a pond infront of it which will be interesting for someone to deal with.

I think it is when they are dormant. On our local radio station they have a phone in once a week about all things garden. (That includes trees).With experts that can answer your question. Does your radio station do similar? If not, get out your yellow pages and ring a few tree surgeons/local horticoutural (sp?)colleges for advice and prices.

Edited by greys mum

Have a look at the link below. It says Birch trees bleed sap extensively, so should be pruned in midsummer after new growth has matured.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/pruning_prunetrees1.shtml

Obviously you should avoid disturbing any nesting birds so trees need to be pruned before they nest, or after they have fledged.

If you go to =1&mhFormData[rangeAll]=1&mhFormData[priceRangeEnd]=999999999&mhFormData[refineSearch]=1&mhFormData[searchText]=prune%20trees&mhFormData[searchZipcode]=&mhFormData[searchZipcodeCircumcircle]=&mhFormData[priceRangeStart]=0"]MyHammer.co.uk you can search for quotes for similar work (which I've done on the link) and also request quotes for your job (and the tradesmen are rated so you have some idea of whether they are any good or not) flowers.gif

Do you have a friendly neighbour with a chain saw? One of ours saw us struggling with a hand saw yesterday morning & felled two large conifers within 10 minutes - one was dead, crowded out by others & the other was a mess, dead at the bottom & flapping around the telegraph wires at the top. He saved us hours which we then spent taking the tops out of some other trees.

P.S. Why do ladders always seem to shrink when you put them up against a large tree :wink:

I was going to say similar to Whizzie - get yourself a Chainsaw & hubby Michelle - you can get an electric one in Argos for about £80, so probably much cheaper than getting tradesmen in.

I believe they should be pruned late Autumn

Edited by Ian