UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Weight Gain

Ruthi (borrowadog)

Seamus was 16 kilos when he came here 3 years ago, and there was nothing under the fluff but bones. We fed him up and after a peak at around 19 kilos he's been a steady 18and a bit kilos for the last two years.

In early December he went in for a dental, and to have a chest Xray because the vet had found a heart murmur, and wanted to see if there were any changes to his heart. Its very slightly on the large side, but nothing to worry about at this stage, and they will take another Xray when he next has to have a GA. He was 18.2 kilos.

For the last couple of weeks I've been thinking that he seemed rather podgy, but assumed that it was just his thick winter coat. But today a friend visited and commented on his expanding waistline, so I've just put him on the scales and he is weighing in at 19.4 kilos - that's 5% up in five weeks.

Should I be panicking? I'll take him down to the vets to stand on their scales tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this.

He's not a happy dog at the moment, because his Daddy is away working. He spends most of his time lying by the front door with his nose to the crack. But there are no obvious signs of illness.

There's been no change in his diet, a few more treats than usual because of foster Benny needing lots of bribery, but not enough to increase his weight like that!

You dont' think it might be just the weather? It's been so cold and horrid, I think a lot of dogs are probably piling on a few pounds just from not rushing about as much as usual... Over a kilo does seem a bit excessive though, could you cut his rations a bit? :flowers:

Poor podgy Seamus!