UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alex Has Colitis

oscarsmum

Monday night - came in from work, Mark had just got in from walking alex and said he had been straining to "go" - next thing - diarrohea pile in the lounge :sick02: cleaned that up and he was ok the rest of the night (withdrawn but no more poo). Tuesday morning came down to another pile of the same :sick01: cleaned that up, let alex out, he came back in - i went upstairs for 2 minutes and guess what - another pile :sick01: :sick01: we just put it down to something he'd picked up whilst out. He went the rest of the day without any further "incidents" seemed fine in himself, not that interested in food, but he's not a particularly food orientated dog anyway. Last night i put some newspaper by the door "just in case" - i'm SO glad i did - this morning, poo, wee and blood :ohno02: alex was at the vets at 10 this morning and was diagnosed with colitis -- given an injection, told to starve him for 24 hours, then feed him some tinned sensitive wet food (he's on royal canine sensitive light at the moment) and a course of tablets. I called his mum to explain and she said "oh hes, he's had quite a few tummy problems and 2 hernias"! :ohno02: :ohno02: it wouldnt have made a difference in our decision to take him on, but a heads up would have been nice! Anyway, he's doing ok - starving hungry by now but he can have some food in the morning. Hopefully we're over the worst (I really hope so). On a more positive note, he and Marley are really getting on well :thumbsup_anim: I've told Marley that Alex is poorly and he has to look after him :smile_anim: We can only think that it was brought on by the stress of the fireworks at the weekend, unless he's picked something up when out walking, because we havent changed his food. A friend has suggested a couple of drops of Bach Rescue Remedy in his water and / or on his skin. I'm tempted and think "it cant hurt" but just wondered what others think? He is a sensitive little thing ..

Live Yoghourt and Slippery Elm are what I would suggest. The yoghourt will help rebalance the gut bacteria and the slippery elm is a herbal remedy to rebalance the gut. As a more radical solution you could change his diet to raw (biggrin.gif), my lurcher can't tolerate dried dog food of any kind and my first dog had terrible colitis until I changed him to a raw diet.

Of course, there are some dogs who can't tolerate raw and something like NatureDiet might be the answer.

Hope you find something to help.

Anne, Barty & Chloe

Sorry, had a problem with the earlier post!

Just to say I find Nature Diet very good for older dogs or ones with sensitive tummies. I also introduce small amounts of dry complete if it can be tolerated, Royal Canin being a good one.

I avoid treats or foods with a lot of preservatives , colourings or additives and use small strips of plain cooked chicken or turkey (no fat or skin) as treats, with carrot strips or apple if they like it.

My latest adoptee is an elderly yorkie who came with the same problem as Alex and it took about 3 weeks of this diet to get her tummy healthy with no diarrhoea, mucous or blood and she now does normal healthy poos and is fed twice daily on Nature Diet, any variety, with a handful of complete at bedtime and treats a suggested.

Good luck with Alex.

Sally.

We fed Oscar NatureDiet so i know its good stuff :flowers: i honestly dont think its the food, plus i wouldnt really be happy changing his diet - only because his owner said he always eats this Royal Canin light and that its the best one for him cos of his sensitive tum. When he first arrived, we gave him a couple of treats, truely not many at all though becauase he really isnt food / treat orientated :wacko: so it could have been this, but as i mentioned, we both think it was set off by stress of the fireworks. I know the fireworks have stopped now, but i suppose once a bought of colitis starts, even if the source is no longer there, it will run its course...? He's going out on his walks 3 times away and still trying to poo, but cant. We're leaving paper down each night and each morning coming down to find brown /red liquid. He had both of his first tablets yesterday. He seems to be enjoying the wet sensitive food that the vet gave him and seems fine and happy in himself. Has anyone tried the bach rescue remedy on dogs?

we had a clean night :partytime: :circle: i was soo happy this morning to find nothing on the newspaper! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: bless him. Fingers and toes crossed we're definitely over the worst now. Alex seemed extra happy to see me this morning as if he knew too :biggrin: Thanks to Sally and Anne for your comments:flowers: i've not got the yoghurt yet (will get some today) but put 2 drops of rescue remedy in his water this morning. Him and Marley now just snoozing on their sofas after soggy walks - when is this blinking rain going to stop :ohmy:

Edited by oscarsmum