UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Employment Law - Mileage

merledogs

Does anybody know anything about employment law please?

The Group expenses policy states that mileage for those using their own car for mileage should be claimed at 40p per mile.

I have been told today that for my training mileage to and from the study centre, that I can only claim 16p. This is not documented anywhere, I am told that because the company is paying for my study (which is a requirement of my job) and exam entry, it is 'generally accepted' but nobody has been told about it, and the Group policy does not differentiate between training mileage and other business mileage. Does the company have the right to impose this?

16p doesn't even cover my petrol, let along insurance and wear and tear on the car.

40p per mile is often quoted, as that is the figure you can claim tax relief on if you don't claim your mileage from your employer. This does not mean it costs 40p mile to run a car. The actual figure is probably closer to 25p per mile.

IF you're not able to claim the full 40p from your employer, you should be able to claim the balance on your tax return.

HTH

Thanks for that Fran. :flowers:

My car costs more than 40p to run - my insurance for one thing is double what it would be ordinarily because I have to have it insured for business journeys, then there is the cost of petrol at 18p a mile (at least), servicing costs, wear and tear on the engine and tyres, etc.

I have emailed my union so will see what they say.