UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fish

bonniebird

I am looking after my neighbours fish in a tank and there pump is not working, so I bought some weed and put it in, hopefully this will airate the water, I got air tablets too, should I be interferring like this and leave well alone or am I doing the right thing? Its been a long time since I had fish,

Thanks

karen x

is it only the air pump which isnt working or is it the filter and what type of fish are they tropical, coldwater, or marine.

How many fish approx are there in what size tank the more fish the more extra oxygen is needed/beneficial but the air from an airstone does not go into the water, rather it moves the surface of the water allowing air to penetrate from the surface,

this can be recreated sometimes depending on what filter is being used if an internal canister filter it can be raised to just below the surface creating ripples and therefore breaking the surface tension and allowing air in or if a filter that feeds back in from the top of the tank a little water can be removed so the returning water drops further having the same effect.

The higher the temperature the more oxygen is needed but i wouldnt fiddle with lowering that unless you know the temperature parameters of each individual species within the tank. :flowers:

Gawd i sound like a fish pervert :blush: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rumpole!! You are funny! They are 3 goldfish in a tank thats about the size of a ........... I'll measure it tomorrow :rolleyes: the pump was already broken when I started looking after them :wacko: they seem fine, but I was worried so got them weed, just hope I don't kill them thinking I am doing them good, I do love fish :flowers:

Thanks x

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Rumpole!! You are funny! They are 3 goldfish in a tank thats about the size of a ........... I'll measure it tomorrow :rolleyes: the pump was already broken when I started looking after them :wacko: they seem fine, but I was worried so got them weed, just hope I don't kill them thinking I am doing them good, I do love fish :flowers:

Thanks x

goldfish are pretty resiliant so i doubt they will come to harm without the pump :flowers:

id mention it to the owners when they get home in case they hadnt noticed. and they really need a partial water change on a regular basis with aquasafe put into the new water water changes help dilute fish waste and stop the water becoming too acidic which occurs naturally

i bet they will love the weed dont be surprised if they shred and eat it tho :laugh: