UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Perl Is Still Leaking!

cycas

Our oldest cat Perl has been leaking for a while now. :sick02: Not wee, but small amounts of thin runny poo. It seems to happen when she is asleep. She's had her poo tested and everything is normal, it's only the consistency that is a bit sloppy. It's intermittent too - when we were trying to get a poo sample it seemed to take FOREVER for her to decide to go at all and when she finally did, it was squishy but not liquid.

I'm going to try getting a probiotic for her, on the grounds that presumably if things are really firm in there the leaking problem is less likely to occur. But the leaking has been going on for about 6 weeks now and although it's not huge amounts, it is a bit ick to have to keep wiping it up.

Does anyone have any other ideas ? She's loud, cheerful and in generally good health if a little overweight, fit and active. She's about 12 years old now, so not that old for a cat.

Do you think it could be a muscle problem? Maybe that's why it took her ages to go when she was in the crate, because she was tensed up and anxious? I know my cats are at their most relaxed when they are asleep (like all of us)- in fact, Molly's favourite time to pass wind is when she is fast asleep and completely oblivious to the stench that she is inflicting on the rest of us! rolleyes.gif

Or maybe it could be her anal glands? I know it isn't really something we hear much of in felines, but some cats do suffer from blocked anal glands. If her poo is normally quite soft then they may not be expressing properly.

Poor Perl and poor you! I hope you find an explanation soon. flowers.gif

I don't think it's the anal glands - they have been checked.

I think you are probably right that it's a muscular thing and it happens when she's particularly relaxed, but I'm not sure how to get her to firm up her bottom muscles! laugh.gif

Pudding my last bulldog did this after he was diagnosed with a CDRM type degenerative disease his muscles were apparently still working but the nerve degeneration meant he was unaware of what was happening at his back end. but at least that meant that as he didnt know it didnt bother him being unclean in fact he would wake up and look at me cleaning up as if to say which dirty bugger just poo'ed on me :rolleyes:

We're trying her on an all-chicken diet to see if that helps. She certainly *can* hold it if she wants to as the epic wait for her to produce when we had her crated to produce a sample proved - but when she's out and about she doesn't seem to feel the same pressing need to hold on. rolleyes.gif