UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Work For A Recruitment Agency?

BillyMalc

Right, I'm job hunting again, after the last company I worked for decided to move abroad and leave us all behind :(

I've put my CV out on www.monsterjobs, and have had quite a few agencies calling me up being interested. So far: 1 temp job that lasted a month, several interviews, still waiting for a reply, and a job that I'm fairly sure I'll have by next week (second interview day after tomorrow and no other candidates as far as I know). However, the job is quite a distance, and the money isn't bad, but not great either - got this via an agency.

In the last week or so, however, I've been called by 3 different agencies, all wanting to put me forward for the same job at the same (big, multinational) company. Now, and I'm making this up, the first agency said that they pay 12 a year, the second one asked me what I was looking for, and when I said '12' they thought that that would be 'too generous', but they would give it a try. Agency nr 3 calls this morning and says that the job pays 15! And I'm sure I've actually seen this job advertised at 15 on one of these job sites. They all appear to be putting my CV forward - we'll see what happens. So does this mean that agency 2, who says that asking 12 a year for this job is 'too generous', is a very expensive agency and takes a huge cut? And does a company put a vacancy out with lots of different agencies and do they 'race' each other to be the first to get a good candidate in for the cheapest price? And would it actually improve my chances if a company gets my CV forwarded by 3 different agencies?

Thanks for any feedback, I'm just totally befuddled how this works! :wacko:

Usually a company puts the job out with a guide salary. However if they are large they may have one or more agencies working with them regularly, and if they often have lots of similar vacancies the agency will put someone forward, even if they haven't been told

specifically that there is a vacancy. And yes, they are definitely competing. Relatively few companies set up real partnerships with a recruitment agency. That's because they are acutely aware that recruitment is a sales function, and that anyone will sell them anything.

My advice is to wait until the company asks in the second interview what you are looking for, then say that you've seen the job advertised at 15 and you think that is fair to start. If they are only prepared to offer less, then they will justify that to you - maybe the other advert is actually for a different job.

Try not to let the agency negotiate the salary. If its not come up by the end of the interview, then say you'd like to talk about salary. Its much harder for a recruiter to say no to you directly, or lower the offer, than to use the agency to beat you down!

Most companies are prepared to pay a fair rate for the job, because they know that they will lose you if they are paying you 20% under the odds! But its a good idea to do as much research as you can about pay rates in the industry, so if necessary you can quote what the competition is paying. And, of course, you can quote the agency that says the job pays £15k. Ignore the ones that are claiming its too much.

Remember that agencies don't work for you, they work for the employer. So they will do their best to drive you down if they think that will get them more work from the employer in the future.

Have worked briefly in recruitment, but I couldn't stand the hard sell. Most of my experience is as a career coach. I'm not keen on agencies, they generally muddy the water, and are in it entirely for No 1. But in some industries its the norm to use them, so you have no choice but to work through them.

ETA, the cut the agency gets isn't related to your salary, its just a cost of recruiting to the employer. Your chances are only improved by being put forward by several to the extent that they will each write you up differently, so you have a higher chance of catching their eye. But since you are in the interview process now, there is little point in being put forwarded by more agencies.

Edited by Ruthi (borrowadog)

You don't really want your CV to be sent in for the same job from multiple agencies. If the employer wants to recruit you they would have three agencies clambering for their commission.

I have come across the following three forms of agency payment;

Some agencies will work on a percentage commission based on your rate.

Some agencies will be give an amount that they can recruit for, if they can get someone in lower, they get to keep more money.

Some agencies will have a set amount for recruiting a specific role.

Companies can use one agency, sometimes a couple. However, when it's out there, so to speak, other agencies may pick it up and send CV's in.

All the best for your interviews and hope you are working again soon - though I bet being home with the dogs is a much nicer time!

Mxxx

Thanks for that Ruthi. I've not actually been offered an interview yet, but by being put forward by 3 agencies (or at least they said they would), I'd start to seriously doubt myself if I wouldn't get an interview at all. Even more so as it is a job which requires speaking Dutch, and there aren't that many of us Dutch speakers about :)

I actually got invited for an interview as a trainee consultant at a recruitment agency once. The interview was most enlightening, and needless to say we - without saying so - both came to the conclusion that I am completely unsuitable to work in recruitment - too honest and upfront I am!

Needless to say also, that I never got a call or email to say that I hadn't been successful - rude!

I have used agencies to recruit for positions in the past.

They were always paid a % of the starting salary as their finding fee/commission.

If there was a CV that came up multiple times I would just tell the agencies that had subsequently shown it to me that i'd already got that CV (or just didn't say anything and didn't ask them to bring that candidiate in to interview and just asked the first agency). However that may or may not be the norm.

Just did a bit more research into this company and have found out that they are directly involved in animal testing (as well as being involved in a million other things that are not as horrid - I thought they were an electricity company!). That's it then, f*** them and their well-paid job, I ain't working for no animal abuser! :angry: :angry: