UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Going On Holiday

cycas

This news story happens to be in the USA - but I'd be amazed if British burglars aren't doing the same thing...

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Burglars-Use-Facebook-and-Twitter--94785434.html

basically, not a good move to post that you are off on holiday (unless you've also made it very clear that there is someone else in your house, or you never, ever publish any info that would allow people who you don't know well, to work out where you live.)

Gosh, at first I thought, ha! I'd never do that....but I sometimes put on my facebook status, if I am going out (to a show or something).

Luckily I have fingerprinted and samples of DNA taken prior to adding anyone to my friends list!

But seriously, it is a good reminder.

Yes, I think I was already fairly careful about holiday type posts, but I'm sure I've let slip that I was going out for the evening before now...

It used to be safer back in the days when I could pretty much rely on nobody being able to find my house unless I'd drawn them a map (ah the joys of rural Cornwall!) but now with Google Streetview and satnav improving all the time, I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case. unsure.gif

That is why I will NOT put my address, even house number and postcode, on the dogs' id tags. They are all registered with Keepsafe and have a tag which gives a phone number and unique reference for the dog on it - this DOES comply with the legal requirement of identifying the owner before anyone queries it.

We go to a lot of flyball events, and it is fairly obvious for anyone with that turn of mind that all the people camping there are likely to be staying for a whole weekend, and so many teams around that they would not stick out as strangers, just people who happen to be walking through on the way to their own area or visiting someone in that area. If I am competing with one dog the others are secured by the caravan so they have shade, shelter and fresh air, and it would be easy for someone to fuss them, note the house number and postcode, then go away and use a satnav or multimap to find where there is a house empty for the weekend. If they triedd to take a dog there are people around to notice that, but who would stop someone stroking a dog on the way past?

It used to be safer back in the days when I could pretty much rely on nobody being able to find my house unless I'd drawn them a map (ah the joys of rural Cornwall!) but now with Google Streetview and satnav improving all the time, I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case. unsure.gif

i think thats what has happened to my neighbours... i got my car and house removed off google street veiw..they hadn't blacked out my cars reg number, i didn't want my house on there for very good reason but i was checking the other day on there and i could only get as far as my neighbours house but on street veiw you could see they were the end terrace... had a lovely closed in back garden on a private driveway and you could see their patio doors and conservatory...... somebody tried breaking in before christmas...removed the beading off their conservatory and the only reason they didn't get robbed was because my dogs scared them off and the fact i heard ladders at 10.30pm aroused my curiosty and i went to be nosy. i think it is very easy to forget yourself sometimes and post a little info that you think is harmless, i wonder if my neighbour had posted she was off out :unsure: