UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Metacalm

greys mum

Lucy has been diagnosed with arthritis in her elbows.sad.gif Just another thing in the list of ailments, poor girl. mecry.gif

The vet has given her metacalm. I'm ok with that for a while, but wondering if there is something proven, that is a bit more natural. She is also on ABs at the moment for pseudomonas aeruginosa. Plus she has got auto-immune problems as well.

Edited cos I can't spell!!!!

Edited by greys mum

The suppliment thats had the most research done on it that I could find was Cortaflex, and is the one vets round here use, my own vet uses it on her dog, I'm going to give it a go for Ben once he's finished the Synflex which hasn't made that much difference for him.

Hello,

There is a herbal medicine called Devils Claw which has amazing anti inflamatory properties, its a liquid that you add to their food but you need to be just as vigilent as with pharma anti inflamatories as it can damage the stomach if used incorrectly.

My GS Cross had arthritis in her spine and adding extra oil to her diet seemed to help a bit too. What made the most difference was taking her swimming twice a week but I get that is not practical for everyone.

If you are interested in the Devil's Claw then you are most likely to find it at equestrian supplement sites.

Cuddles for your poorly hound flowers.gif

You could look at Glucosamine (Cortaflex & Synflex being forms of it), Green lipped muscle, rosehip, alfalfa, Hydrotheraphy, canine massage, accupuncture in terms of pain relief

If you're needing an immune system booster Vitamin B & C, zinc, Evening primrose oil, cod liver, flaxseed or omega 3 & 6 oils, saltwiter fish, kelp, zinc, neem, yoghurt, echinacea & bees pollen, garlic & Reshi & Shiltake mushrooms are all said to be potentially beneficial to the immune system

Good luck