UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Amber 6 Yr Old Cream Kelpie Bitch

cackie

I have been asked by Amber's owner and Kelpie Welfare to crosspost this request. Please take the time to read about Amber as she is a wonderful dog and will make a loyal companion. If you have any questions please pm me and I can put you in touch with the owner. Amber is in the Porstmouth area.

I currently own three kelpies which are both pets and working dogs; used for ferreting and controlling rats. Rust is a ten year old, entire, red and tan male, Amber is a six year old, spayed, cream bitch and Scout is a two year old, spayed, black and tan bitch. I also have a seventeen month old son called Oscar.

Despite the best efforts of my wife and I we have decided to admit that the relationship between Oscar and Amber is causing problems. Amber is very much a one-man-dog who has a strong sense of belonging to her pack. She gets on very well with my wife and Rust and Scout as well as our ferrets and bantams. We had hoped that this side of her character would positively effect her relationship with Oscar but unfortunately this has not been the case.

She will avoid any contact with him whenever possible and there have also been four occasions when either my wife or I have heard her growling in his presence. After each occasion we had a long and thorough discussion about what may have occurred and how to proceed. Although each event could possibly be written off as caused by an external stimulus, we've come to the decision that enough is enough and it's not a risk we are prepared to take. We are therefore seeking to re-home her.

The current situation is that whenever Oscar is downstairs, Amber is moved into the garden room, which is our usual "kelpie residence." Although this avoids any contact, it's not an ideal situation as she's a fairly soft bitch with an occasionally Eeyore-like demeanor: "Oh woe is me!" We can of course put the others out with her but this then means no contact between the other two and Oscar which would adversely effect their positive relationship.

So, now that I've painted a negative picture of her, let me try to give a fuller one. As mentioned above, Amber is the most one-man-dog I've ever known. Although she is completely besotted with me, I feel this side of her character would allow her to, given time, form an equally strong bond with a new owner. Although she gets on very well with my other dogs; they've always been kenneled as a group, she is not fond of other dogs. This results in her trying to avoid them but if too much attention is given she will often assume the worst and defence attack. However, this invariably takes the form of a quick, blustery, "I said leave me alone!" kind of thing. Although she always avoids the attention of people too, she has never shown even the least form of aggression to anyone, which is why we're so perplexed by the growling at Oscar.

She's extremely obedient and is one of those dogs who'll invariably be doing the right thing without needing to be told. She rarely goes out of sight, even when hunting, so recalls have never been a problem.. Of the three, she's the only one I wouldn't describe as 100% bomb proof with stock. Although a slightly less keen hunter than the other two, largely due to her desire to stay close, I'd say she has a stronger working/herding instinct. Despite this, she never gives me any concerns on our trips to Dartmoor as she's always within sight and a short, "Ah, ah, ah!" would always do the trick.

I'd describe Amber's perfect day as being one in which she could spend the entire day in my company. Despite this she is, like the other two, very good at switching off when not working and subsequently spends the majority of the day asleep.

I'm not looking for a foster home, just a permanent one, and I'm more than happy to keep her until one can be found; she's a pleasure to be with. Needless to say, if there were any concerns in her new home I'd be more than happy to take her back.