UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wobblers Syndrome In Horses

Sarah_H

Molly is having tests on Wednesday to confirm if she has Wobblers or not. :mecry:

I stupidly let my f-ing ex have her when we split up. He left her at a yard with unpaid livery debts, where they pumped her full of feed and sent her out as a hireling on the hunting field :mecry:

My friend and I managed to orchestrate getting her back and since then she's been diagnosed with Stomach Ulcers, OCD in her hocks and now Wobblers. Its all seems linked to her unbalanced diet etc.

I just don't know what the future holds for Molly and to say we're devastated is a slight understatement. She is only 5 and should have her whole life ahead of her :mecry: :mecry:

Does anyone know anything about Wobblers? If its degenerative or if the operations work?

Or if the kindest thing is to have her pts, which will break my heart as I'm feeling awful currently for ever letting that idiot take her, but I had to choose Easta and Blondie or Molly and Nya. It was awful but I didn't have £5k to buy him out of Molly :mecry: :mecry: and now shes been so let down.

I am sure that there was a horse on the last farm I was on who had Wobblers. He was ok as a light hack, but seemed happy in himself. He couldn't turn in tight circles or walk backwards. He also had bone spavin from what I remember. It could be that her riding career comes to a premature end, but could still be kept as a companion?

I am sure someone more knowledgable will come along soon enough thoughGroup_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

That's a complicated condition and is degenerative but not all do or at the same speed. I believe a high fibre diet is recommended, don't know how this helps though. She may become unsafe to ride but would be ok as a companion until and if the condition becomes cronic. Wobblers can get a problem with over reaching and may do quite a lot of damage to the heels of the front legs so boots become a necessity.

PTS is a long long way down the road yet, don't panic, wait for the diagnosis. We all have our fingers crossed here that it's not wobblers. :GroupHug:

Any results yet Sarah?

No knowledge myself either but hoping there's a better prognosis after today :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Don't beat yourself up, you're not culpable for anything :GroupHug:

Good to see you back here by the way :flowers:

Ok, she has Wobblers in her C6 vertebrae which means it is inoperable. :mecry: :mecry:

So we're sending X-rays to Liphook for a second opinion and putting her on steroids to control the pain, but shes not the same she is crabby, grumpy and obviously in pain. :mecry:

Its a matter of weeks to be honest, and at the age of 5 its heart breaking for us all.

To make things even worse her Mum, Blondie is chronically lame with suspected fractured shoulder and I've been told today she needs to have her eye removed which has a glucoma in it :mecry: :mecry:

Sarah :mecry: :mecry: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Thank goodness you fought to get Molly back so you can help her :GroupHug:

How long do they think Blondie's shoulder will take to heal enough? The stress of Blondie needingan operation at the same time as Mollie's diagnosis, is a very heavy weight to bear :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Life really goes for the hardest knocks at times.