UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buying New Cars......

Tempest

I'm *thinking* of getting a new car :biggrin: I've currently got a Ford Focus estate on an 04 plate (it's an automatic) and I mainly had an estate because of the hounds :)

Now there's just Ollie I'm literally only taking him in the car to go to the field now that he can't walk there (it's about a 2 minute drive) and other than that would be if he had to go to the vets. He used to go everywhere with me in the car but now he's got poorly legs it's quite an ordeal for him getting in and out and using the ramp and everything :wacko:

Anyway I'm starting a new job next week working for Great Ormond St and am going to be home based but with a fair bit of driving around Essex visiting volunteers, schools, venues etc so I'm thinking of a new car :wink:

With the price of diesel cheaper than petrol at our local garage I'm thinking about a diesel and I'd really like a hatchback as I've always hated the estate - I'm rubbish at parking and hate how long it is :laugh: Also we've got a huuuuge Barjo crate in the back so in effect don't actually have much of a boot to use :wacko:

I'm a fan of my Focus so would consider another one or another Ford but I'm a bit worried about whether Olls could go in the back seat of a hatchback as I don't think the ramp would work (I tried it on my car and the incline was all wrong and made it too steep for him) but I was wondering if it might be safe for him to travel in the footwell behind the front seats as that would be easy for him to 'hop' into. I'm not sure if this would be safe though if there's any kind of contraptions that you can buy to enable dogs to travel in footwells :unsure:

Thing is I really don't want a car that he can't easily access as he loves his daily pootle at the fields and even though it's a palarva with ramps etc (it takes longer to get him in the car than his walk does) I don't want him to miss out on this. I know that might sound a tad crazy as lots of people (not people on here though!) would just street walk their dogs if they wanted a different car that they couldn't get into.

I'm really unsure about going back to a manual after having had an auto for about 5 years and whether it's better to go for new or something that's a year or so old - I know there's lots of 'deals' at the mo and am sure I read somewhere that nearly new prices have gone up as people can't afford new anymore :unsure:

Also safety is massively important to me - I've had 2 accidents (that weren't my fault) in the last 3 years and they really scared me and feeling 'safe' in my car is really important too :biggrin:

to be honest in my opinion buying a new car is a waste of time, by buying a new car i mean brand new, you lose so much on them as soon as you pick they keys up and sign for them, also with a car that is about a year old most of the teething troubles should be out of the way and dealt with and you should still have a bit left on the warranty too :biggrin: the number of customers we used to have coming in with squeaks and rattles and wind noises that really annoyed them on long trips on brand spanking new cars was amazing.

as for ollie having trouble getting in the back, i don't know how big he is or how much he weighs but do you think he would tolerate being lifted onto the back seat?? that way you could get a car hammock thing and a harness/seatbelt :unsure: and if you need to give a lift to anyone it is easy to whip the covers off :biggrin: i do this with my dads car and it works quite well.

If you are going to be doing a lot of miles and want comfort and economy, why not look at the hybrid cars. My dad has a toyota prius, similar in size and shape as a focus and its a belting car. The tax is £15 a year, there is no charge to drive it into London and its sensible insurance rating. Also, toyota have just brought out a new improved one, which means the cost of an 'old shape' which is hardly different will come right down. They also come in automatic and have lots of extras. Low boot too. I did try to persuade Dad to donate me his when he went for the new one but sadly he was having none of it :laugh: