UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sumission?

cheryl33

So I've had Molly almost two months and apart from weeing on the landing and chewing her bed, she is the most perfect dog you can imagine.

In respects to training she is the complete opposite of Henry - very easy. He whinges when he wants attention and is a grumpy old man :wub:

But the one thing I have noticed with Molly is how submissive she is. When we are out on a walk and you call her to come back, she comes straight away but rolls over on her back. When you get her out the car, she curls up in the corner and won't come out until you get her lead. When Henry or any other dog go up to her, again she rolls over on her back but each time with her tail wagging. When she catches you watching her do a wee (not that we watch her but you know what I mean) she sits down and wags her tail, ears back looking scared.

She also does this if she is the back garden when you call her in, like she feels she isnt allowed in the house.

Can anyone tell me why she is like this? Is is because she isnt confident enough? I'm very confused :huh:

Hmmm, I'm in no way an expert, but Sparks is a very sensitive, insecure little soul, and even though he had lived with us for 15 months already, as my mate's dog, when he came to live with us on his own, he would withdraw into the bedroom most of the time. It took him months to come into the living room after dinner, to chill on the sofa. Two months really isn't that long, with Sparks I just left him to it and all of a sudden he figured out by himself that lying on the sofa after dinner is actually quite nice :) What I would do with Molly, whenever you think like she's behaving submissive towards you, is ask her to do something that she knows very well, such as 'sit' and then really really praise her.

Sparks used to be scared to go out after dark, and would not want to come out of his bed. I just clipped his lead on, without any fuss, and told him we were going 'walkies' in a very excited voice, and again after a few months he was fine :) Molly's a gorgeous little pup! :wub:

How old is Molly?

Missy my Springer can be like this - she was about 18 months when we got her and she's 9 now (and still does it occasionally, along with a submissive wee) It happens most often when she's confused and I wonder if she learnt it when with her previous owners and was subjected to non reward based training, or if she's just overly sensitive. I ignore it and turn my back as soon as she starts.

Yes, I agree with all of the above. My little Chloe was excessively scared and submissive when we got her 4 years ago. She still exhibits this behaviour when she isn't sure of what is being asked of her or if she thinks she is in trouble.

My advice would be to be very clear in everything so that she can be confident that she is going to get it right. When you call her back to you I would throw a treat just at her feet the second before she rolls on her back and then reward her with another one straight afterwards from your hand. You can then build on this to getting her to do whatever behaviour you want her to do on return.

Like our dog I would work on stuff that builds her confidence. I took Chloe to agility classes and that helped her enormously.

Tilly was like this when she first came, a really nervous little girl who needed one of my other dogs with her when she went out. Last week I was on a big caravan rally and took her on her own round the trade stands, she had a wonderful time and was really confident.

Clicker training will often help a nervous dog's confidence.