UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fuchsia Question

owl

I have a non-hardy fuchsia which winters indoors and goes outside in the summer. I have had it for about 10 years. Last September it was munched down to its roots by goats, who also ate its pot :rolleyes: I repotted it and it is now bigger, better and with more blooms than ever before. I have kept it indoors this summer, and it is now ginormous and threatening to collapse under its own weight.

The solution is to take some cuttings, though usually I wouldn't do that while it is in full flower. My question: do I just stick them in damp compost, or do I put them in jars and wait for them to grow rootlets first? I've always just put them in compost before. Some survive, others don't. Just wondered if that is the best way or not.

I use rooting liquid, it's meant to be "better" than powder, then put the cuttings into a pot with a mixture of soil and grit or gravel for good drainage. I've got a feeling that letting them root in water means than you get softer roots than usual and they are more easily damaged, but someone else probably knows better than I do!

The problem with taking cuttings now is finding non flowering shoots. As a general rule you can say that a flowering shoot will not root - its far more focussed on flowering. So its easier to take cuttings in the spring when the flower buds aren't formed yet.

But if you hunt around the plant you should find a few bits that will take.

Compost gives better plants, but rooting in water is much easier. If rooting in compost then make sure there is something over the pot to stop drying out, if rooting in water, when you plant it up keep the compost really wet for a week or so, then gradually dry off to the normal state of moisture.