UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Property And Kennels To Rent

Nettie

You could ask Wiccaweys Sarah for advice cos they were looking round for a while :flowers:

It is very exciting :pinkie:

Its something we need to do, at the moment we are spending between £2-2,500/month on kennel fees, our own rented kennels would would probably cost about the same but save so much time especially and therefore the hounds would get so much more one to one attention especially those needing some extra rehab and training. Its very exciting but also quite frustrating trying to find something but we'll get there in the end.

are you looking to rent a block of kennels in an existing boarding kennels or a property with kennels attached ?

On Rural scene there are a lot of properties that have horse related outbuildings that look like they could be easily converted to hold dogs. The properties were for sale but maybe the owners might consider renting for a fixed term if they are unable to sell

Thanks all for the help. Ideally Sam we would love to buy but at the moment im not sure its feasable unless a cool £300,000 fell from the gods :wacko: Rent with right to buy in a couple of years would be the best option and we are open to areas although the Midlands would be best placed to keep us functioning how we are currently. If we could rent a property then we could make moves to fundraise and hopefully give us a foot up over the next couple of years.

Weve grown to running 60 dog strong and usually have 40 in foster homes and up to 20 in kennels. The kennels staff are fabulous and I cant thank them enough for all they do for our dogs but its a good jaunt (20 mile round trip) and we seem to be getting reputation for rehabing the harder dogs at the moment. There are a couple that I doubt will be rehomable but are very happy and secure in our kennels and again aswell as more extensive rehab work we could give these much more sanctuary.

Its sad that in the current climate with kenneling bills alone amounting to that much, they have increased again this year from £25,000 last year we are not only at risk of not being able to continue to expand but forced to cut back on our numbers. There are so many at the moment more than I ever remember before although I seem to say that every year and no matter what you do it never seems to be enough. Frustrating and heartbreaking all at once.

are you looking to rent a block of kennels in an existing boarding kennels or a property with kennels attached ?

On Rural scene there are a lot of properties that have horse related outbuildings that look like they could be easily converted to hold dogs. The properties were for sale but maybe the owners might consider renting for a fixed term if they are unable to sell

Several pit falls to going down that line Sam. First, depending on location, they may have to apply for planning permission for change of use. That in itself is no mean feat as most areas are greenbelt and no build. then there is the conversion. 60 odd greyhounds, even doubled up in kennels is at least 30 kennels, which is 60 side pannels at around £100 per panel, 30 door panels @ £115 ish, suitable flooring which would add another £4000 ish.... its still a very dear do.

Then there are the rumours that surface every now and again that rescue kennels should meet the same specifications and conditions as boarding kennels which could mean further costs down the line to upgrade, as well as potentially further planning costs... :wacko:

I would certainly consider approaching kennels for sale and asking about teh possibility of renting for say 2 years. While the property market is down, someone may be willing to take a regular income and keep their property rather than sell it

Several pit falls to going down that line Sam. First, depending on location, they may have to apply for planning permission for change of use. That in itself is no mean feat as most areas are greenbelt and no build. then there is the conversion. 60 odd greyhounds, even doubled up in kennels is at least 30 kennels, which is 60 side pannels at around £100 per panel, 30 door panels @ £115 ish, suitable flooring which would add another £4000 ish.... its still a very dear do.

Then there are the rumours that surface every now and again that rescue kennels should meet the same specifications and conditions as boarding kennels which could mean further costs down the line to upgrade, as well as potentially further planning costs... :wacko:

I would certainly consider approaching kennels for sale and asking about teh possibility of renting for say 2 years. While the property market is down, someone may be willing to take a regular income and keep their property rather than sell it

I doubt we would have 60 hounds in kennels, the majority of our hounds are in foster homes and this would continue to be the case in the future, so we would probably be looking at 20 hounds in kennels, tops, and those would be the ones that need that extra bit of help to learn to live in the 'pet' world if you know what I mean. So much time is being spent travelling to and from the present kennels that the time could be put to better use and at the same time Lisa and those working closest with the hounds are not spending as much time with the hounds as they would like. The staff at 'our' kennels are wonderful and look after them really well but its the extra training and rehab that needs to be put in that is the problem, the staff at the kennels can't do this and nor do we expect them to.

Any property does not have to be perfectly presented, we have volunteers who are prepared to put in a bit of graft to bring somewhere up to scratch.

I also agree that if we go down the route where we need to apply for 'change of use' and build kennelling which would include planning permission and funds is something that we would like to avoid if possible, I'm sure the right property is out there, its just a case of finding it. Thanks for all your input and help.