UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Moss, 17 Month Old Podenco

Nettie

but there is a catch, he is in France. His current rescuer took him out a poor situation and is now raising funds to get him passported to enable her to widen her search for a home for him, she is prepared to keep him until he is qualified to travel to the UK. She would dearly love to keep him and has worked so hard with his anxieties but with two other lurchers and health problems it is not feasible.

This is Moss:

Moss2April2009.jpg

MossJune2009.jpg

This is what she says about him:

Moss is 17 months old (born 1st Jan 2008). He is neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.

I can leave Moss for several hours now without problems. I have left him all morning with access to outside and in the company of my other dogs. I always make sure he's had a good run before I leave him and then he's perfectly fine. He has a nice routine now and doesn't 'demand' much between his regular walking and feeding times. A new owner would be advised to establish these routines before leaving him for long periods - he may well regress temporarily once he leaves here. As far as living with other dogs go I can vouch for him with my bitches (both spayed). He's at the bottom of the pecking order but he does like to be center of attention and I could see him taking over if he got half the chance. I tend to reinforce the current pecking order in feeding etc. We did have one challenge early on but nothing since. He tends to make a bee line (given the chance) when he sees another dog out and about (if he's off lead). He goes in with the intention of playing but some dogs (especially small dogs) react aggressively towards him and he will retaliate with a scary bark. He usually comes back to the whistle (especially if I run in the opposite direction). On the lead he has started this lurching and barking towards other dogs - which I'm currently working on and which is improving - that started when he was being walked by friends. My dogs probably were the route cause as they give a warning bark to other dogs when they're on the lead. Since I've resumed walking him (as I said, I sometimes have to rely on others), I'm working on it and he's getting the message. I suspect he would be much easier to handle without the other two as one sets the other(s) off if you know what I mean.

They are about his biggest faults. As for small furries...well, he's completely trustworthy with my cats. He has lived with a ferret (not caged!) which ran rings around him but not recently.

I'd be reluctant to let him go to anyone with small children. He is too boistrous for them and he's clearly unsure of them. On 2 occassions now he's shown fear by backing away and making strange noises (not growling but a parent might interpret it as such), culminating in a bark which scares the tot half to death, to say nothing of the parent! I haven't had chance to 'educate' him around tots, my grandchildren haven't been over since he's been here and most parents are not keen to have their toddler exposed to such a big dog. He'd be best with older children/teenagers or in a fun-loving adult environment.

I've noticed that with certain of my friends his behaviour changes. With me and with my husband, he has total respect. With certain others (who act a bit laddish with him) he mouths and plays the fool! He needs a fun person with a firm hand! Not someone who will give him a free reign (which is what he had before and he was out of control).

I would not recommend anyone take him that wasn't prepared to put in the leg work! Without excercise he's a pain! He is full of mischief and has far too much energy for the average household. Right now, he wants/needs a walk (we're running late) and so he's gone and found a ball and he's chucking it up in the air and catching it, sending it flying under the couch, placing it on my lap and gawping at me with those big eyes! In an hour when we return he will be like a little lamb, as he's been all day!

If anyone is interested in him please contact me in the first instance and I will put you in touch with his carer.

Any potential homes will be homechecked.

Where is he in France? My son and daughter in law live in Sospel and run a pet food and accessories business. They have 4 dogs and have extensive experience of large breeds. If necessary I'm sure they would help to find a suitable home for him. Un fortunately I know they couldn't home him themselves as , apart from visiting family children, part of their house is a holiday let in the summer with regular visitors.

My daughter in law has had rescue dobermans and retrievers in the past and one of their dogs now is a lab x belgian shepherd which had been in kennels in St Tropez for 18 months before they rescued him; he required an awful lot of work and is now a lovely dog.

Where is he in France? My son and daughter in law live in Sospel and run a pet food and accessories business. They have 4 dogs and have extensive experience of large breeds. If necessary I'm sure they would help to find a suitable home for him. Un fortunately I know they couldn't home him themselves as , apart from visiting family children, part of their house is a holiday let in the summer with regular visitors.

My daughter in law has had rescue dobermans and retrievers in the past and one of their dogs now is a lab x belgian shepherd which had been in kennels in St Tropez for 18 months before they rescued him; he required an awful lot of work and is now a lovely dog.

He's currently in Aude and his details are also on the Total France forum. There are a couple of threads relating to Moss' progress if you'd like to learn more:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/vi...ghlight=#574605 on page 2 and an update on page 3.