UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Banks - Can They Just Take A Payment From A New Account?

ReikiAnge

Sorry can't read all the thread at the moment, need to get Joe to the vets.

Ange, change to another bank, I had terrible problems with banks when Bill died, it was so bad that his name is still on one of them, he died 2.5 years ago. They were just pleasing themselves and no matter what I did, they ignored it. I closed every account down apart from 1, got onto internet banking and control it myself. I also got rid of all cards and I have never been better off. It is inconvenient to have to go to a bank for money, but I am able to pay things as they should be paid and not have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Banks are there to make money from us, not for our convenience, they no longer make much money from me because since I done this I have always been in credit.

Don't worry Ange most of us have been there (and are still there!!). Like others said - life doesnt always go to plan! They can take the money BUT if you have told them already about making min payments etc then they shouldn't. You have grounds to complain about this and insist that (some) the money be given back to you straight away as you need money to live on and if as a result you incurr any bank charges for bounced cheques or returned direct debits then they have to cancel that cost as it was their fault.

I would just say get on to the banks, record who you spoke to and put it in writing as well. All else fails go into the bank.

Unfortunately it's probably in the terms & conditions of your account - Lloyds TSB certainly do have that in theirs (though whether the Ombudsman would take a good view of their actions in this instance I'm not so sure) - personally I consider it to be legalised theft - the quickest & easiest answer is quite simply to close at least one of a/cs asap - if you had a credit card with a different bank it wouldn't happen.

Dependant upon exactly how bad your situation is this may or may not be possible immediately but as a credit card isn't a priority debt a court may make their own order to put a stop to this if things were to reach that stage.

CAB, Consumer Credit Counselling Service & the Financial Ombudsman may all be worth a call if you aren't sure what to do.

Best of luck :flowers:

The wonderful Lloyds decided to take over £700 out of my bank account just before Christmas and just before my mortgage payment went out, leaving me with nothing for food etc. As result my mortgage payment bounced (mamanged to pay it later on luckily). All because I had missed two payments earlier in the year which didn't add up to the amount they took out.

It took a while to get through to them on the phone that they had left me with nothing and to give me some money back. Luckily I got paid early for Christmas so had another wage going in about two weeks after this happened which I made sue they didn't get.

I am now well away from that bank, just wish I had done it sooner!