UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What To Feed A

phoenix

a work collegue told me she has aquired a newborn kitten, it was rescued whilst being 'got rid of' because mum has rejected it, she is bottle feeding it her own babies milk, i told her this isnt ideal and she must get it to a vet as it was riddled in fleas and very dirty, as she has her own baby and it could be carrying anything :unsure: she is new to this country and her english isnt fantastic but she is determined that she is doing the right thing and dosnt need milk from the vet, can anyone tell me is baby milk ok, if not why not? so i can try to educate her, thank you

Baby milk will not have the correct amount of protein, vitamins and minerals vital for a kittens development. She can buy Royal Canin kitten formula milk from some pet shops, I know Jollyes sell it in their shops. Failing that she can get it at the vets or Cimicat but the Royal Canin milk is better.

Also, new born kittens cannot go the toilet on their own, she'll need to stimulate it after every feed and at newborn that's every two hours, day and night. Newborn kittens need at least 24mls of milk in a 24 hour period.