UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Laryngeal Paralysis

rustyfudge

OH took three of the dogs to the vets for their routine boosters and check up on Friday. Rusty and Ruby came back with a clean bill of health, but OH said the vet had commented on Fudge's panting (which she does do quite frequently). OH is useless at remembering information though and didnt really know much more, just that the vet said to limit her walks in hot weather and to keep our eye on her. He mentioned an operation, but OH seems to remember he said it wouldnt really be for her as she is elderly.

I rang them myself today to find out just what was wrong with Fudge and the nurse, who was very helpful said that it says on her notes a mild laryngeal paralysis.

Ive googled this, and now know a little bit more. But would really really welcome any advice/information from anyone who had had experience of this....

Fudge is 13, she is fine when she is resting, but when she is excited or hot she does the panting and also a lot of barking (not sure if this is connected :unsure: )

What should we be doing? looking out for? should we change her collar and lead to a harness? should we consider surgery? keep her cool at all times? limit her walks?

Thank you for reading

Caroline

x

There's a previous topic about this here which might be helpful:

http://www.therefuge.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=43246

I opted for the tie-back operation with my old greyhound and it was very successful, she never looked back. Other people here have chosen to manage the condition, and I'm sure will be along with advice about that. A lot depends on how sever it is and the age and general health of the dog. It's definitely worth a proper chat with your vet about the options and what would be involved with each before making a decision.

:flowers: thank you

Ive just read that thread and it was really nice to know Im not alone. OH is always useless when it comes to passing on information! The vet doesnt seem to think its bad right now. I will monitor it and make a note of just how often she is doing it. Now I know there is a problem I can also change things diet, etc. Ive banned her from the conservatory cos it gets very warm in there. She seems to be ageing quite quickly, more so than our older dog :( She is a bigger dog than him though.