UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent! Staffie Girl Desperately Needs A Place

I know there's so many urgent appeals for "special" staffies but please don't overlook this girl...

I'm posting on behalf of the owner so should introduce myself - I'm from the local council and first came across this dog as a stray. She was rehomed to this family but totally unexpected circumstances are forcing them to give her up. We are unable to take dogs back into the pound but I will always offer support and help to our homed dogs hence posting the details - This is a genuine case not someone that just can't be bothered with their dog.

She is: approx 10 month large staffie bitch called louie. Through some detective work I've managed to track back a lot of her history so here goes -

She was bought by a person in London we think as a pup, they sold/gave her to a relative locally here about 4 months ago who sold her on to another person. This last one is very well known to us (and the police) for anti-social behaviour, their dogs constantly straying/being in the pound and lots of problems so not a great home. Unsurprisingly she was picked up as a stray and was in the pound for over 3 weeks. The owners knew that she was there but didn't bother to come in to collect although kept promising they would. As her 7 days were long gone we eventually rehomed her.

It looks like she has had puppies at some point :(

The family that she went to were out of our area but they were homechecked by a suitable person and spoken to at length by our dog warden. They were (and are) good people and usually would be an excellent home for a rescue dog. Although the girl was well behaved in the pound it became apparent when they got her home that she was extremely stressed and had some behavioural problems but they were willing to work through them and all was okay. Unfortunately their circumstances changed completely unexpectedly and has left the lady unable to cope. She has bravely been trying with some assistance from me but has now contacted me to say that she can't physically do it any more due to her health. I reiterate that I am satisfied that this is a genuine situation, its not for me to go into her personal details but she is totally heartbroken that once again this beautiful dog is being moved on.

The good: Louie has lived with children and other dogs with no problems (staffie types and bitches at that). I don't think she has lived with cats.

She is extremely intelligent and responds fantastically to training - I did some work with her and have never had a dog pick up things so quickly. It pains me to say she's quicker than my dogs! :D She does work well with food.

Currently the owner walks her with a halti on as she is strong on just a collar. She doesn't actually connect the halti though, just having it on calms louie enough to walk normally. She would be good in a harness but you would need to be strong to hold should she see a cat! With this arrangement she may still pull if sees something interesting but comes back to heel and is a pleasant walk

She is extremely loving and has the wonderful temperament of all good staffies. I would say with 100% confidence that there is not an ounce of aggression in this dog

the bad: She is been left extremely stressed with all her bad experiences in such a short life. This manifests itself with being destructive when left (although not massively so and this can be redirected to things such as kongs), barking and worse of all jumping and grabbing clothes and arms. You can literally see her coping well and being a lovely friendly relaxed dog and then as her stress levels rise you can see her displaying lots of signals before then starting to jump and grab - I repeat that it is NOT aggressive at all but it does hurt so I would state that she would have to go to an experienced home and NO children. Working with the owner, we have put a programme in place designed to bring those stress levels down, teach her some self control and relax her. One of the things that really helps with this is walking not surprisingly (we don't think she had ever been for a walk in her previous homes) but her owner's ill health is limiting how much she can take her out.

Sorry for the long story but I really wanted to impress what a wonderful sweet dog this is and equally that although at this moment in time she is not a dog for a novice. with a small amount of dedicated work and plenty of walks, her stress levels would reduce and then she can concentrate on training and showing off her wonderful side. She is so good in so many ways (she isn't full on 24/7 for example) but due to the nature of this jumping/grabbing and being a staffie we are being cautious about where she goes.

A rescue place would also be good of course or if a rescue was able to offer back up that would be appreciated. I am more than happy to offer advice to a new owner and will also be speaking to rescues direct of course.

Any possibilities please pm me or contact me on 07766 368220. All homes will be vetted of course. pic to come and she is based in Wiltshire but doesn't mind travelling for the right home. I don't want this dog to be moved again!

Many thanks, ali x