UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldie With Body Clock Out Of Sync

snougles

I don't know if anyone else can identify with our problem but my oldie Oscar who has reached 12 years old - sleeps soundly for 22.5 hours a day But the 1.5 hours that he is awake and very active is about 10 pm - just when we are fading and ready for bed. I wish he could be more active a bit earlier in the day when we are able to deal with him as he is quite noisy and naughty still - despite his years ! :laugh:

• 2 months later...

I can completely identify with you. Our newest addition to the family, Roxy, sleeps most of the day as well but then wakes up a minimum of once during the night (last night it was four times) and then shes up and alert again at 5am for about an hour or so until she goes back to sleep.

Each time I have to come downstairs to let her out and/or comfort her as she barks when she wakes until I come down. Problem is shes 17 and is a bit senile so there's nothing that can be done about it really (although shes recently started on some meds to aid her confusion) so now I feel like I spend most nights waiting and listening for her barking as I'm scared that I won't hear her. On the odd occasion she sleeps longer than 5am, my other dog gets me up! :wacko:

I have a similar problem with my old dears except it's a bit more logical than 10pm :laugh: Mine do the dawn bit - and in the summer that's around 4.30am :wacko:

Maybe you could wake Oscar up a bit earlier in the evening and try to get him to play. He might have his 90min waking time then rather than later and be ready for bed at a civilised time. Having said that, you'll probably find that he refuses to stay awake!

Good luck