UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dap Collars

Pouchie

A bit of background info.

When we came back from UK I brought back with us a non rehomable rescue blue merle collie x who had been in and out of kennels for 2 years to try and settle her here in Spain. Due to having her live with us for 4 months in the UK I knew that one of her problems was dog aggression, so soon as we got back I started on a herbal remedy called Placid which contains chamomile, lemon balm, vervain, skullcap and lime flowers.

After 6 wks she seemed to settle quite a bit although still challenging mine whenever she felt like it, so I decided on Saturday to try her with a DAP collar. Well by Sunday she had turned into the dog from hell and in the evening after their walk decided to have a go at Rudi the Retriever who having had enough retaliated. This would not have been so bad if it had not happened as I bent down to pick up the towel I had just used to dry them as I ended up in the hospital having treatment on my bitten hand that had got in the way. Monday night she just walked up and had a go at Wispa the Alfa chochi lab then on Tuesday morning she jumped on Rebel the 12yr old senile, blind lurcher pinning him down and having a go just because he walked past her.

Last night I took the DAP collar off as did wonder if she had received an overload of hormones and today she seems a lot calmer. We are waiting for our builder to start a kennel which she will stay in at night and when we are out. She has to come with us every where at the moment due to escaping over the 6 foot fence one day and being found with the skin ripped off one of her back toes. Taking her out with us is not ideal due to being a typical collie and barking at all the cars that pass.

Sorry bit long winded but though I would ask if anyone had any reactions like this?

I have heard of the plug-in DAP not having the calming effect it should, on some dogs, so I see no reason why the same couldn't be said for the collar. Sounds like a good idea to remove it - and if she is now calmer and stays better, would seem that was the likely suspect?

I was thinking of trying one of these on Max at some point - and definitely wouldn't want to make it worse!

Hope your hand and the dogs are ok :GroupHug: