UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Word Of Mobile Phone Advice!

gooster

Just to let everyone know of my recent experience with my mobile phone...

Back in December, I changed over to vodafone to get a blackberry storm. I did this at phones 4u. This was all well and good, until the phone broke (anyone with a blackberry storm, you have to put it in the little pouch with the buttons sticking out as opposed to the LED, otherwise the buttons fall off :rolleyes: ). I took it back to phones 4 u, who told me that they couldn't send it back, and I'd have to contact vodafone. I did this, and they told me that since phones 4 u had supplied the phone, that it was there responsibility to put it right. I rang 191 from my phone, spoke to someone in far away land, who confirmed this. I went back to phones 4u and told them this, they told me to ring their head office and tell them. When I did this, they told me they had had communication from vodafone telling them they were not allowed to send blackberry storms back, and it had to be done through vodafone.

By this point I was getting mightily annoyed, and went back to the vodafone shop. When I spoke to the manager, she said that she would send it back, but it probably won't get repaired.

Soooo, word to the wise - if you are getting a new phone, buy it from the actual network shop, and then if it goes wrong, you won't have the same problem as me - my phone is due back on Friday, so everything crossed that they will have mended it and I will have a fully functioning phone!!!!!

My biggest bit of advice though is to not get a blackberry storm, as it's a heap of junk - the battery is naff, if you make a 10 min phone call, it needs charging straight away!!

My biggest bit of advice though is to not get a blackberry storm, as it's a heap of junk - the battery is naff, if you make a 10 min phone call, it needs charging straight away!!

I've got one of the old blue blackberries. It's as tough as heck, and still functioning well even though it has been dropped several times and chomped by Wispa. It has huge dinks and teeth marks :rolleyes: The newer ones are much less durable.

In law (Sale of Goods Act) its the retailer that is responsible if an item is not 'fit for the purpose'. A blackberry with buttons that fall off in no time clearly isn't fit.

As far as the law is concerned the retailer cannot hide behind the excuse that the manufacturer is being unhelpful, that is their problem, not yours. I'd suggest that you do a bit of googling, get the relevant standard letter and fire it off to the retailer while you wait to see what happens with Voda.

Ruth

Apparently this was a known problem shortly after the initial issue of the Storm. I was sent mine by Vodafone through the mail, but when I went into the phones4u branch to look for accessories there were 2 people there with the same problem. Something to do with which way up the phone was put into the pouch causing the damage.

Having had a similar problem with phones4u wanting to replace my broken phone (not the storm) with a cheaper phone instead of the same make I can now recommend that you do get your phone through your network supplier, you usually get a better deal going direct.