UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Keyhole Spay

Gog Magog

Our Ruby had her spay this way which was about 3 yrs ago now. No stitches, no buster collar - was great.

We were told that she shouldn't go swimming for a no. of weeks (I can't recall how many now). She was absolutely fine with it. Didn't pester the area at all. The following pic is when we'd brought her home, you can see the op area. Now, you wouldn't even know it's there

DSCF0001-2.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that doesn't look very noticeable? How quickly could she get back to off-lead running etc.?

You know it's hard to remember. I think it was about 3 weeks maybe. She had lead walks only to start off and then it was built up to off lead / running etc. The one thing I do remember was the no swimming thing too soon afterwards.

Our Vet didn't even offer an option of the usual type of spay. When we picked her up I was expecting the big collar etc and there was none.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Mish had her op on Monday. a lot of it was pretty standard stuff (we came out with a lampshade!) but the wounds are tiny. I was surprised that they still went through the belly - I had it in my head it would be in the flank. we had the slight added complication that we also had them remove one of her dew claws at the same time that was bothering her so she's got bit of a tender paw too.

the first night she did feel a bit sorry for herself and a little wobbly which is to be expected after the anasethtic but she ate well and fell asleep. The next day she was a little quieter than usual but not much! She has been very sensible and not attempting to climb the stairs or get on the sofa which made it easier for me. By Wednesday we were feeling fully back to normal :) The vet said that ideally no walks until her check up appointment today although she could have short lead walks if really needed. We managed without this but I think one more day would've been pushing it!

Her check up today went well - she has managed to get one of her stitches out although I have no idea how as we've never seen her bothering at it! She was very freaked by the collar so I've avoided it as much as possible. A friend of mine had an inflatable ring when her bitch was spayed (like a doughnut) but unfortunately my vet had not yet come across this (they did say they would look into it though as it sounded much less stressful). She is now allowed short (10 mins) calm lead walks and has to be kept clean of course but he did say she could have a few of these each day. The stitches come out in one week today and she can be off lead after then although none of her usual bog diving for a bit

In short - it is still a major operation and is still in a delicate area which is sensitive to being pulled during movement so they have to be restricted. The small wounds look much nicer to me than normal spays and there is going to be basically no scarring. They have healed extremely quickly too - if she hadn't got that one stitch out there would be no redness or mark at all! She seems happy in herself and was very quickly back to normal.

I know dogs do make amazingly quick recoveries from normal spays but I think she has been generally happier quicker. She is still restricted with her walks but I don't feel as worried she may hurt herself as I have with previous girls. It IS more expensive and is NOT a miraculous recovery but... I would still do it again and personally I would recommend it. We only have to pay to neuter them once after all and what's £100 over a lifetime? If it has made it even 10% easier for her then its worth every penny and I honestly feel it is more than that :)

We've been doing scent games and using enriched environment play to use up some of her energy in a calm manner. This seems to be doing the trick and it will be easier now we don't have to sneak Cass out for a walk! Mish can come too but just on a shorter route

some pics: the wounds first of all. please excuse her slightly flabby belly! she had pups before we got her and was quite overweight. The fat is gone but she needs a tummy tuck :rolleyes: The lower one (next to the heel of my hand) is the one she pulled her stitch out so it is very slightly inflamed. The one towards her chest is barely visable but its in line with the lower on the edge of the dip between the two rows of nipples.

CIMG0345.jpg

and just because I don't need any excuse to show off my girl :wub: She's a bit fed up as everyone's wanted to see her belly today! so is licking her lips from the bit of ham I've given her :wink:

CIMG0349.jpg

glad to hear it went well for her. Anne - sorry, yet another pm for you requesting info as China will be booked in for May.

Whatever the options for the spey are I will do what I did with Lucy and give her arnica tablets and rub arnica cream into her tum for about a week beforehand. Lucy was a greyhound so there was absolutely no spare skin at all on her and I had worried about the stitches being a problem as they could not "overlap" any of it, but she healed beautifully and very quickly - in fact the stitches came out a few days early.

Anne - thanks for sending the info so quickly!

I notice it says "When the ovaries remain intact, the presence of estrogen and progesterone causes a vaginal excretion, accompanied by swollen vulva, which attracts males during estrus" and goes on to say unwanted attention can be eliminated by tablets and sprays.

Think I will stay with the full spey for China, as this week both the big boys (neutered) have lost their virginities to her, and poor Bo was screaming in pain more than once as he was dragged round the garden while still tied - despite her having tablets and sprays!!! Luckily they are both very good natured and it did not develop into any sort of rivalry or nastiness (and the little tart was quite happy for them to take turns!!!) however this may change if it happens again.....

Definitely worth considering anyone without a mix of the sexes though. (Also it means I can be sure when arranging her op that the vet knows what is needed and does not just go for the partial)

Edited by buddyboy

I must admit I got a bit confused over what Anne sent through - I understood with a keyhole spay that the ovaries were removed. If you click on the links I posted in my first post on this thread, they say the ovaries ARE removed during the keyhole spay.

http://www.highcroftvet.co.uk/news/Highcro...ry_laparoscopy:

A keyhole spay is far less traumatic and only the ovaries are removed (ovariectomy).

http://www.willetthouse.co.uk/laparoscopic-spay.asp

There are two sterilisation techniques available; ovariectomy (removal of the ovaries alone) and ovariohysterectomy (removal of the ovaries and the uterus).

I did wonder if the info you sent through Anne, was for something slightly different? :unsure:

You know it's hard to remember. I think it was about 3 weeks maybe. She had lead walks only to start off and then it was built up to off lead / running etc. The one thing I do remember was the no swimming thing too soon afterwards.

Our Vet didn't even offer an option of the usual type of spay. When we picked her up I was expecting the big collar etc and there was none.

that does look like a usual type of spay though? Surely that is not "keyhole"?? Indy never wore a bustr collar, she felt sorry for herself for a day, and had to stay on lead for about a week-10 days-ish.. till the stitches came out.

Akita never wore a collar either, and as we lived on a (different) farm, she wasn't even kept on a lead, just left to wander about as she did every day :unsure:

Had a read through everything now and seems that they all come under the category "keyhole" but some keep and some remove the ovaries.

Plenty to discuss when the time comes - when I went in for Diazipan for Toastie today the receptionist was very surprised at what the boys had been able to do considering they are neutered!!!

that does look like a usual type of spay though? Surely that is not "keyhole"?? Indy never wore a bustr collar, she felt sorry for herself for a day, and had to stay on lead for about a week-10 days-ish.. till the stitches came out.

Akita never wore a collar either, and as we lived on a (different) farm, she wasn't even kept on a lead, just left to wander about as she did every day :unsure:

Yes it is. Ruby had no stitches, hence no need for the collar :)

I look at a lot of spay wounds in Sri Lanka as we monitor a selection post op and I have found that the difference in wound closures is vast depending on who does them

Each vet seems to have his or her own style and I have seen wounds closed externally with just 2 sutures and sealed with super-glue ( there is a layer of internal sutures as well ) and equally wounds closed with up to 6 sutures. The Super-glue is not to hold the wound closed its used as a barrier to keep sand and grit out and it works really well in my opinion

we have found that the neater the wound ( smaller and less stutues ) the less likely the dog is to bother the wound , I have also found that dogs are pretty much recovered from the op after 24 hours and a lot of them are back outside within 48 hours ( dogs are not generally walked on leads in Sri Lanka ) post op pain relief makes a huge difference especially for the first 24 hours

most of our dogs do not have buster collars because we just don't have enough of them , so we keep busters on standby for dogs that really need them ( and won't leave the wounds alone ) all of our dogs have 3 days post op pain relief with the option for more if the owner thinks the dog needs it

regardless of who does them and what method they use some dogs will always bother sutures and some dogs could not care less

Petra aged 6 months

DSCF4710.jpg

Wound was 2-3 inches long , row of internal sutures ( absorable sutures ) , 2 interupted external sutures ( cat gut ) and a layer of superglue applied, The photo was taken before the sutures were trimmed back ( to make it harder for dogs to pull them )

Petra stayed the night with me after her op ( which was at 14:00hrs on a Saturday ) and she was back outside ( her choice ) by 10:00hrs on Sunday ( she was a community dog ) Petra had 3 days of post op pain relief and was 100 % fine

Petras sutures were removed at the follow up clinic and she was rehomed to one of MEFs drives a few days later

I probably have the wrong end of the stick, as keyhole surgery in humans literally is just a tiny hole, through which the instruments are used. With a longer scar on her tummy, I couldn't understand how that can be keyhole, as it looks like the same type of scars that my girls had, from normal spays. There is a type of self dissolving suturing that is placed under the top layer of skin, so you can't see any stitches, and they won't need removing. I thought maybe that was was she had had, but keyhole spays must be different to keyhole surgery in humans! ... I wasn't trying to be awkward on purpose :flowers: