UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Do You Keep Safe?

cheryl33

A headtorch - I have discovered a whole new world of dog walking since not working at home anymore. Phone always on and charged enough and a whistle! I would never EVER have dreamed about walking in the dark before but there was no way I was going to let myself or the boys go without a proper walk in the week.

I was getting up at 4 am every morning then had a eureka moment and realised it was dark in the morning as well as at night so why not just go after work :rolleyes:

I go to the Chase so pretty remote although there are mad mountain bikers there as well as me - last Friday we started walking at 10PM after doing the horses! That shook me because I came across a group of men without torches. They were all very polite and I thought they must be army cadets or something but then I read 'it' in the paper and now I'm actually a wee bit scared......

There's been deer poaching on the Chase at night - really nasty stuff, no guns just knives. They run the deer into nets and then slash their tendons and then their necks :( :( :( .

I went out one night after reading that, it was late and dark as no frost etc. and there was a wagon on the car park. Normally wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest (theres a church college opposite the car park with internal lights on so that makes me feel better). Anyhow, this night about 100 yards into the path from the car park/road, dogs still on lead, they went crackers barking at something and I seriously nearly just ran back home in my car crying all the way it scared me that much as I thought they were barking at poachers! I shouted "Who's there?" and no reply so carried on :laugh: :wacko: It was probably a deer, I can normally see their eyes laying down in the grass with the torch. I am not so keen on going there at all hours anymore though, sadly.

Teddy is my protector, Jack has a bluddy good bark on him but he's my cuddly baby so I don't feel quite the same reassurance :wub: :wub:

In answer to your question then I would have to say: Do not read the newspaper!! Oh and a Headtorch!

I'll be taking the boys out in a moment, so I'm also an evening walker. Our in the dark walks are on pavements usually although we do sometimes go across the road to the fields. Both Wiggle and Sir H have Puplights so they are very visible. The other bonus of the lights is that as the angle can be adjusted, I can point the light's either to the ground or straight ahead, so they light up the pavement for me when we walk where there are no streetlights.

Wiggle would protect me, I think. The other morning before work, we were out at about 5.45am and there was a bloke waiting next to the road, leaning against a lamp post. I expect he was waiting for a lift as it was next to the road junction but Wiggle didn't like the look of him and barked. Sir H was dragging his heels behind us and took no notice at all :rolleyes:

I can't really say I've ever felt worried, whether it's because my working hours mean that there are days when we walk in the dark either early or late so I'm used to it. I've usually got my phone on me as well as a torch, and the boys are lit up.

I'm not that easily scared, and tbh I'm usually more worried about the scallies with their badly behaved dogs attacking my guys than me being attacked (despite having been mugged a few years ago). Even though I could prolly count on Sparks to at least pretend he'd attack someone with less noble intentions, and Kiera to bark for England (don't count on Mal, he'd not even defend his sofa, leave alone me! :rolleyes: ), I'm always more worried about the dogs getting hurt than myself. I have done thai boxing for a bit and actually fought off one eejit successfully once, although that's ages ago(as well as getting pretty mashed up when I tried to repeat that one, defending a friend!), so that does give me a bit of self confidence should it come to a fight without knives or other silly weapons.

Guess I am luckey. I get up at 6am on a weekday and go to the forest for an hour before work. Never a soul around. I have a thumb stick and always take a heavy chain lead just to be on the safe side.

In the evening we walk round the streets on the lead but, saying that, we are in a quite rural area. I have walked in the park in the dark and the graveyard on lead but, Lottie would'nt let anyone near me so I guess I keep safe by having a Muppet bodyguard.

Not much help am I. :rolleyes:

Whats a thumb stick? :unsure:

i walk hounds on my own in the nature reserve at 5 am.

i have a grey with no teefs who doesnt bark but will make the odd Woo Woo noise :rolleyes:

a saluki who is a nelly.

the scariest thing is me.

i know from experience that if i thought i or the dogs was at risk-i would without second thought be an offensive weapon-which probably isnt saying much as a short, overweight glasses wearing middle aged woman.

But i am damned if i will let what ifs change my life

fee

At the moment most of our walks are in the dark.

I have a very attractive head torch, which is a necessity when holding 2 sheps. The dogs wear various lights on harnesses so I can see them.

We walk in the surrounding fields or sometimes the recreation ground but that involves a car drive so not often. When we go out running I stick to pavements or "proper" footpaths to avoid breaking something.

I've never really considered my safety other than making sure any cars etc. can see us in the dark. I never really considered it when we lived in a much less "nice" area either. I'm well equipped to make a nuisance of myself if necessary, and C makes sure my "skills" are kept up to date :rolleyes:

Besides you've got to be some kind of idiot to take on someone with 2 shepherds a mad jumpy lunging saluki and whilst I'm sure many people would dismiss Breck as a cute springer, I wouldn't want to bet against him should his back be against the wall even if his oooh there's something scary bark is ridiculous :laugh:

i walk hounds on my own in the nature reserve at 5 am.

i have a grey with no teefs who doesnt bark but will make the odd Woo Woo noise :rolleyes:

a saluki who is a nelly.

the scariest thing is me.

i know from experience that if i thought i or the dogs was at risk-i would without second thought be an offensive weapon-which probably isnt saying much as a short, overweight glasses wearing middle aged woman.

But i am damned if i will let what ifs change my life

fee

Exaclt the way I feel! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: