UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Yesterday I Did Something

K9Fran

I rode!

You'll have seen the pics of Bronnie, the Welsh Section D mare that I look after at weekends........

Well her owner has been pestering me to get up on her, and as there wasn't too much to do yesterday, my friend and I both tacked up our respective charges and took them in the school!

Bronnie is 14, and has been used as a brood mare most of her life, so despite her age, is still very green (was last ridden about 9 months ago) , so it was interesting to see if I could actually get her to 'work' (the answer was a firm 'no' at this stage <G>) We actually only did about half a donzen circuits of the school on each rein, but it was quite an acheivement for me, and I managed to dismount without crumpling in a heap (although I was quite wobbly for a few minutes afterwards)

I've only ridden twice since I had a nasty accident about 18 years ago which put my in hospital and left me with memory and reading problems for many years afterwards, so we're taking it very slowly.........

It is a great feeling to be back on after a long time. I did it a couple of years ago on our holidays in Cornwall and went for a ride on a 16.2HH horse around Lands End. It was my first time for over roughly 22 years!

You don't forget it, easier than riding a bike. I was nervous of falling down all that way, but when I broke my back and was knocked out for over 3 hours riding my own horse, he fell on me, I didn't fall off him - beware of horses falling on you at walk, they are quite heavy!

Well done!