UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bank Of England

Nettie

I think Gordon Brown will put pressure on the banks to pass on the rate change. I have a tracker which stays 0.5% above base rate, so I think mine will come down automatically. However, if it doesn't I shall be screaming blue murder at the bank and my MP - banks can't expect to be bailed out with public money when they're failing and then not pass on rate changes to those same tax payers.

I think Gordon Brown will put pressure on the banks to pass on the rate change. I have a tracker which stays 0.5% above base rate, so I think mine will come down automatically. However, if it doesn't I shall be screaming blue murder at the bank and my MP - banks can't expect to be bailed out with public money when they're failing and then not pass on rate changes to those same tax payers.

That's a good rate, we have a tracker too at 1% above base and according to a phone call with the company the last half percent rate will be applied at the beginning of next month and today's rate will be applied in January, this is with Bank of Scotland

Edited by Nettie

That's a good rate, we have a tracker too at 1% above base and according to a phone call with the company the last half percent rate will be applied at the beginning of next month and today's rate will be applied in January, this is with Bank of Scotland

Hmm, mine could be 1% now you mention it :laugh: . Why can't they apply it straight away!! I wonder how long it will take them to drop the rate on savings accounts, they probably did that about 10 minutes after the announcement :mad:

If you've got a tracker your rate will drop automatically as it will be written into the contract.

I have a tracker, I think it's 0.25% above the base rate, but it runs out in July next year, so after Christmas I will be looking to see what's out there, cos I don't fancy jumping to the standard variable rate :(

I got a letter dated 2nd November saying my mortgage rate has gone down by 0.5 %

That would have been the previous rate cut, so you'll probably get another to say its gone down 1.5% so that's a 2% drop in two months, not so good if you've got savings as opposed to loans!

That would have been the previous rate cut, so you'll probably get another to say its gone down 1.5% so that's a 2% drop in two months, not so good if you've got savings as opposed to loans!

fab thanks Nettie , I must have missed the previous cut when I was away last

my mortgage is one of those offset ones so any savings offset the loan , most of my real savings are in ISA's ( I dare not look ) and Preminum bonds ( which have done very very well for me so far )

what I really need is for the pound to recover against the Sri Lanka Rupee as its down 60 rupees to the pound ( about 30 p ) and it means the Dogstar Account is worth 30 % less that it was a few months ago :mecry:

That's not good.

Thankfully I'm with Cheltenham & Gloucester and the rate cuts are passed on straight away (ie the month following the cut) so I have already felt the benefit of the initial 0.5% cut on 1 November.

Just hope I can get another deal with them in July next year when my mortgage runs out :(

Edited by merledogs

• 4 weeks later...

my mortage did indeed come down the extra 1.5 % and when I rang the bank today re another matter there was a automated message saying its coming down another 1 % by next month

so that means my mortage rate will be 4 % :ohmy:

do people think it could really get any lower than this ?

I have keep my payments at the September level as I know the rates wil at some point rise and I may as well over pay for a few months while I wait to see what happens next