UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Housesitters

MikeM

After putting our three Westies through the stress of boarding kennels we have decided for our next holiday to get a housesitter.

It is a big birthday for me at Christmas and we are going on a cruise over Christmas and New Year.

I would be grateful if any one could recommend a good housesitting service,we are based in the Cheshire/Manchester area

Thank you for your time.

Mike

We have not had a housesitter but Holly has stayed at a pet sitters house, and had a lovely time.

We found her at National Association Of Petsitters(NARPS) some do come to your house I believe. Just make sure you meet the sitter and get referances before yoy use them.

Websight is www.dogsit.com.

Hope you find what you want and have a great birthday and holiday.

Barbara

Petpals. They have a branch in Stockport. www.petpals.com Having the dogs stay there is a lot more cost effective than having someone live at yours, and the dogs love their holidays.

After that its Animal Aunts for live-in sitters. Be prepared to pay the better part of £100/night - especially in the holiday period.

At all costs avoid Barking Mad. They won't let you see where the dogs are staying.

Ruth

Whoever you use, if they are coming into your home, I would ask to see references.

I contacted a fairly reputable dog and house sitting service whose details I got from NARP and the quote was very expensive. However, what put me off was that they were unwilling to provide references. There is no way that I would have let someone into my home (or look after my dogs for a week) without seeing references, so I didn't do it.

I have used Petpals in Worsley for dogwalking but not for petsitting, but I can say I have found them to be trustworthy :flowers:

ask at your vets. I dogsit for people in my home and I get most of my clients via the vets. They usually keep a list of people who dogsit,dog walk etc. I hope you find somebody nice. I have regulars that have been coming back for many years and are good friends now. x

If you have people in your home you want more than references. You want a police check. Known as a Basic Disclosure (or if they happen to work with children they'll have an enhanced one) anyone reputable will have one and be able to produce it.

Ruth

If you have people in your home you want more than references. You want a police check. Known as a Basic Disclosure (or if they happen to work with children they'll have an enhanced one) anyone reputable will have one and be able to produce it.

Ruth

To be fair the company I referred to did say the sitters were police checked :flowers:

They wouldn't let me have contact details for people who had used them previously though so I could speak to them to obtain references. Police check is well and good but I wanted to ask questions unrelated to that.

I won't name them because it was one of two and I can't remember which one.

Edited by merledogs