UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Renting Houses

Rudi

A lot of googling (high street rental agents were rubbish) and some good friends helping. Most places will ask for say an extra £1000 deposit to cover any pet damage.

Ads usually say 'pets considered' or 'pets allowed', then you have to phone the agent and ask about your specific animals. Sometimes they'll be able to tell you straight away other times they'll need to ask the owner and get back to you. Country estate agents are your best bet as it's often rural properties that accept pets.

Visited a few rental agents, asked about the properties I liked and if they would be ok with dogs and went off to have a nosey round property, garden etc. No extra deposit required. Ive been very fortunate in finding houses to rent here.

Last time we rented, we had a very good idea what we wanted so we basically made up a short letter about us and our pets and stuck it throughthe doors of the houses in the areas we were looking at. We got 2 houses offered that way, and rented one of them.

we found ours through a high street agent. no extra deposit required.

advert made it clear it was rural and animal friendly. only issue for us was slapping holding deposit down first and fast. i actually signed up for it without husband even seeing it!

When I moved down to York originally I had about 4 weeks to find somewhere to rent :wacko: with one BC.

Tactics I used were

• find ALL the local estate agents and request up to date listings, plus check their websites
  • get a named contact for each estate agent and phone them at least once a week
  • check out any suitable properties asap!
  • especially look for unfurnished
  • offer vet references or similar
  • emphasis the well behaved nature of your pet(s)!

worked out okay for us :)

Just remembered when my landlord paid us a visit a couple of months ago she ended up sitting on a blanket covered mattress on the living room floor with Kyla who had just had her cruciate op. Dont think she realised it was her mattress off the spare room bed :laugh:

That's a good idea to get references, be good to have something from my vet to say the dogs have a good temperament :flowers:

thats a good thought. when we were looking the first time, agents would ask what kind of dogs I had. In my naivety, i thought they wanted little toy ones rather than big and hairys. So I was describing the (then) two lurchers as 'oh you know, normal sized cross breeds).

Turns out what they DONT want to hear - or at least round here is 'bull breeds' or the other breeds most in the press these days. Bloody tragic.

thats a good thought. when we were looking the first time, agents would ask what kind of dogs I had. In my naivety, i thought they wanted little toy ones rather than big and hairys. So I was describing the (then) two lurchers as 'oh you know, normal sized cross breeds).

Turns out what they DONT want to hear - or at least round here is 'bull breeds' or the other breeds most in the press these days. Bloody tragic.

Exactly - I'm wondering what the reaction will be to rottweilers! :wacko: