UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tillee's First Achievement

yena

Well done Tillee. The first of many acheivements. :wub: :flowers:

when I had my eye ops and temporarily lost my sight I used to hang my head down,its an automatic safety thing to protect your face, it probably doesn't mean that she is sad.Big :GroupHug: to you and her. She is not in pain,just losing her sight like me, be glad for the other things she has.x

I was the same. Although I wasn't completely blind, it was automatic for me to look down. Not too far though as I would fall over!! :rolleyes:

Just a thought. Do you think that she is sitting by the chair so that she has the security of something solid against her back? Plus she isn't in the line of where people and animals might walk.

I had a yorkie who was blind in one eye and then developed cataracts in her good eye at the age of 7; she had an operation to remove the cataract although within 3 years she lost the sight in that eye completely but continued happily on until the age of 14. The only thing she stopped doing was to jump onto the windowsill when she heard my car but she adjusted to every other activity and managed to get into the car without missing a step as she always believed sitting on my passenger seat was her rightful place!

I also had a very ancient poodle placed with me by a local rescue which had been found wandering in a busy town centre. He was completely blind and partially deaf and came into a household of 5 dogs and 6 cats. It took this spirited little fellow less than a week to work out where the doors were, to avoid obstacles and where the most comfy seats were! He lived happily on for 2 years after he moved in and his personality and spirit left a huge gap. The other animals accepted him and he coped very well, adjusting to the rush when anyone came to the door or a doggy charge was necessary!

Please don't despair, I'm sure your girl will adjust and it sounds as if she's making huge strides already.

Good luck.

Sally.

I think when they go blind some will just sit naturally looking down,

our shrimp still does this even after so many years, when she does it, its when shes thinking,

of what to do next.

you will find that over time you will sometimes forget that shes blind,

with shrimp ive noticed that she now gets away with a lot of things especially with the other dogs,

its like shes got her puppy license back,

give her and yourself time everything will fall in to place.

Do you think that she is sitting by the chair so that she has the security of something solid against her back? Plus she isn't in the line of where people and animals might walk.

Yes, I think that's why she sits by the chair or wall. Last night she did sit and have a cuddle for a good 15 mins, which is something shes not done, since she had her eye problem. Also I noticed if she banged her eye, she did cry in pain, her vets appointment is for the 23rd, if she gets worse, I make one before that date.

After been told-off yesterday by certain people (yes you know who you are :laugh: ) I went home with a more positive attitude, if she bumped into anything, I just steered her in the right direction. I must admit this morning I did pick her up to take her downstairs, mind you she was still asleep :) .

On a brighter note, purple_mog :flowers: kindly sent me an address for a trainer and it's in Leeds :biggrin: . Just waiting for an email back, so I can arrange training :biggrin:

hello again :rolleyes: yup its the ever appearing Mog!

Anyway, coz I forgot to say last time - the Tailwagger Club will be at Nostell Priory for a big dog show raising money for hearing dogs for the deaf this Sunday. Wondered if you might be going, let me know and I'll introduce you to folks!

Mog :flowers:

We always go down to the caravan on the weekend, but thanks for the offer. Got a email from Angela this morning, so I gave her a ring, but she didn't answer, obviously busy, told her I'd ring her back. Spoke to OH yesterday about it and he thinks it's a great idea. He even thought the Ttouch course was a good idea, I'd have to do it sometime in the winter, after the caravan season. I'm all excited and can't wait to start, I'm sure Tillee will get loads of benefits from training. Thought I'd see if I could go to the Dogs Trust on a Monday to see you lot in action :) How long do the course run for?

On a even brighter note, Tillee jumped onto the bed last night, she's not done that since her eyes went funny. Of course I put her back in her bed :wink: I've got a more positive attitude thanks to everybodies help and things are looking great :) :)