UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Border Collie Pup Advice Please.

Lizzie

Someone I work with has a border collie bitch, now 5 months old. She is desperate for advice from someone who has lots of experience with the breed regarding proper care and training.

I know virtually nothing about border collies, so I know you will come to the rescue here. :)

During the last couple of weeks the puppy has bitten her a couple of times, one instance was while she was at a training class. Everyone was sitting quietly with their dogs while the trainer was talking to them, she gave her dog a chew while she was at the side of her, a dog a few feet away looked at the chew, so she growled at the other dog and bit her owner who hadn't got a clue what had happened. She got up and walked over to the other side of the hall with the puppy, the trainer then asked what was the problem, she explained the situation and told the trainer she had been bitten.

She is seriously worried about trusting the dog when her young nieces and nephews visit, anyone out there I could refer her to for advice please? :flowers:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, firstly for anyone to help her properly they will need to see your friend and her dog together. I would advice her to visit her vet first for a full health check. Ask for advice as they will often have a practice trainer/behaviourist. Also have a look on the APDT website, tell her to call various trainers in her area and find one that has collie/biting dog experience.

If you want any other advice feel free to get in touch.

Good luck

Laura

APDT 00808