UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kc Good Cits - Silver Questions This Time

Rileyroo

Sorry, more questions about the Good Citizen's tests.

We're doing our Silver in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure I've got everything completely nailed.

My main concern is the 'controlled greeting' - is this done on or off lead, and do the examiners just walk up to you and the dog, saying hello?

:flowers:

Mine was done on-lead (well not mine Tiz's really!! :laugh: :rolleyes: )

She did walk over and just stopped a couple of feet away, and pretend chat!! I had to keep Tiz in sit (or I think down is okay to??) and her dog was put into sit. Luckily Tiz wasn't feeling like Evil Tiz that day and didn't do her usual snide 'I'm ignoring you.......no I'm not I'm going to eat you' routine!!! :wub:

Good luck, I'm sure she'll walk it!! :flowers:

Thanks, Jacky.

The description says something about greeting, as if entering a house so I wasn't sure if they were going to do some knocking on a door, opening door rigmarole. It says that a dog that doesn't jump up will pass, so I don't think she has to be in a sit (although that's what we've worked on when greeting, because she's a little too enthusastic sometimes :laugh: ).

Holly had to sit as well, on lead, just don't let your dog jump up at the exaniner or try to get at thier dog. One did at our exam and failed.

Good luck, it's not so bad as you may think.

Barbara

Hang on - you both mention the examiner has a dog with them? It shouldn't be a problem, but the test description doesn't mention that it's done with a dog too?

Exercise 7 - Controlled Greeting

The object of this exercise is to demonstrate that the dog will not jump up. Should this happen, the handler must be able to

successfully instruct the dog to cease. The Examiner will greet the dog as they may do when entering a house. A dog that

does not jump up will pass. Note: The Examiner should not over incite the dog to jump up. A dog displaying poor

temperament will not pass.

Hang on - you both mention the examiner has a dog with them? It shouldn't be a problem, but the test description doesn't mention that it's done with a dog too?

Exercise 7 - Controlled Greeting

The object of this exercise is to demonstrate that the dog will not jump up. Should this happen, the handler must be able to

successfully instruct the dog to cease. The Examiner will greet the dog as they may do when entering a house. A dog that

does not jump up will pass. Note: The Examiner should not over incite the dog to jump up. A dog displaying poor

temperament will not pass.

Ohhhh maybe I got the wrong thing!!!!!!! :laugh: I'm sure she did have a dog???? Ummm can't rightly remember now! God I'm a great help!!! :laugh: :rolleyes:

I never got to the test as pudding broke her toe the week before, but ours had you either walking up to someone or someone walking up to you in training (i.e. training assistants, peoples other halfs, random people coming to check out the training classes etc) and the dogs generally had to ignore them. I always made pudding sit (not that she had any problem with this) cos if she was sitting she couldn't be doign something else!

Sometimes we combined it with the food bit where we had a pretend conversation and ate from a plate of biscuits or a rustley packet of crisps. Other times they combined it with asking the questions.

They certainly didn't have a dog with them.

p.s. dogs displaying poor temprament will not pass - does that mean if they bite the examiner you fail!!

THat was my main concern puddings only weak part was being examined by someone, esp a strange man and she would go into silly play mode and get a bit mouthy. As she has tried to bite the vet before I was always a bit paranoid at this part of the training.

Was going to do a proper one later as he is at physio and consultant this afternoon with OH and our friend who is going to be the 'ears' - you know how it is when you leave the vets and can't remember a word they told you lol!

I feel all nervous and fluttery about him going, even tho he is much better than the last time they saw him.

He managed to sleep through the night last night (normally cries cos needs the loo, or has fallen off his cushion or just wants a bit of fuss and comes to the edge of his pen and rattles his cage for a bit of a fuss.

I have a list of questions for the OH to ask the vets, i.e. he only does one monster wee a day and I don't know if its good for him, but if we catherterise him forever, it brings risk of infection and apparently doesn't teach him to go on his own again.

Anyway no need to reply as hi-jacked your post will update properly later, although they won't be back till half sixish and I am taking pud for a nice long walk after work.

I know we we did ours they said that even if the dog does jump up at the examiner you haven't failed, you just have to show that you can get him/her back under control and instruct them properly :rolleyes:

Our was done onlead and the examiner walked up to us for a chat :rolleyes:

Jess' main blooper was that when she was doing the play exercise and was offlead the examiner got a tissue out of her pocket to blow her nose (Jess of cause thought it was a treat and jumped up to her face!!!!!!!!). She was really good about it and said she knew why she'd done it etc and it was her own fault for getting the tissue out :laugh:

Edited by Tempest

Was going to do a proper one later as he is at physio and consultant this afternoon with OH and our friend who is going to be the 'ears' - you know how it is when you leave the vets and can't remember a word they told you lol!

I feel all nervous and fluttery about him going, even tho he is much better than the last time they saw him.

He managed to sleep through the night last night (normally cries cos needs the loo, or has fallen off his cushion or just wants a bit of fuss and comes to the edge of his pen and rattles his cage for a bit of a fuss.

I have a list of questions for the OH to ask the vets, i.e. he only does one monster wee a day and I don't know if its good for him, but if we catherterise him forever, it brings risk of infection and apparently doesn't teach him to go on his own again.

Anyway no need to reply as hi-jacked your post will update properly later, although they won't be back till half sixish and I am taking pud for a nice long walk after work.

I'll look out for your update - I love your dogs :wub: . Hope the vet goes OK and you get all the answers you need.

I know we we did ours they said that even if the dog does jump up at the examiner you haven't failed, you just have to show that you can get him/her back under control and instruct them properly :rolleyes:

Our was done onlead and the examiner walked up to us for a chat :rolleyes:

Jess' main blooper was that when she was doing the play exercise and was offlead the examiner got a tissue out of her pocket to blow her nose (Jess of cause thought it was a treat and jumped up to her face!!!!!!!!). She was really good about it and said she knew why she'd done it etc and it was her own fault for getting the tissue out :laugh:

:flowers:

as it says its a controlled greeting

IIRC there is nothing saying the dog cannot be in a down and the down reinforced. Also IIRC its on lead

however, also ime, its very much down to the individual doing the assement how they interpret the criteria on the evening, normally though jumping up would be considered "nt ready" as you should have prevented it from happening