UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Techie Help Needed

rmb3971

Oh wise fugees......advice needed pleeeeese for two ITish problems.

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I wondered if anyone else having similar problems.

Apologies in advance for long & boring post.

First problem: 'Have I got water in me wires?' :ohmy:

I have used TalkTalk for my first experience of broadband. Very satisfied. (Had BT dialup before that. Nuff said!)

But … I get Internet 'connection' problems for several days often, by coincidence, after periods of heavy rain. The router light for the internet doesn't come on and the DSL one flashes.

Phone works fine. Filter/splitter thingy ok. Wireless router has been checked and is ok. Master socket is ok – have used the little test socket to check too.

Other than just waiting till it chooses to work again you can sometimes get it to work for a while by using the phone. It's almost as if the electrical activity of the phone call helps it to connect. (Similar to when car won't start because battery is flattish then someone comes along turns the key and it fires! :rolleyes: Just 'cos the connections have warmed up with trying before)

Could there be damp in a connection 'their' side? I have to pay for engineers call out if they can't find anything wrong on their side, as I just know I'm going to struggle to explain this to them. They're never gonna believe it.

Second problem; Tabs :angry:

If I've got a web page up with tabs opened and I go to click on a different tab, the whole page disappears. Also if I right click on a link to 'open in new tab' that too occasionally makes the whole page disappear! I've made sure I'm not catching the middle button. My daughter has been experiencing this too recently at her house so at least it's not just me...is it?. Has anyone else? It's very GRRRRRRRR!

I use internet explorer, and have downloaded all updatey things sent by Microsoft.

Have tried firefox last year ago but didn't get on with the format.

Does anyone have any clues for me please?

Ta very muchly :)

The tabs thing is more than likley an IE7 issue I had exactly the same problems with it in work so uninstalled the damn thing and went back to using IE6 :laugh:

Is that an option for you?

If not I would suggest persevering with firefox it's a tabbed browser too so not too different to explorer.

As for the talktalk thing - I'll have a little google and see what I can find out for you.

Ohkay - seems you have a fairly common problem with talktalk - have a look here:

http://talktalkhell.wordpress.com/

Might need to look through for items on your specific router - could be theres a work around in there somewhere.

Try googling talktalk and your specific router and see what comes up but it very much looks like you are not alone with this issue.

Thank you very much Snow. That's brilliant, and nice to know it's not just me going mad and imagining it!

Will try firefox again (i never was very adventurous :rolleyes: )

and do the googling whilst praying for no rain! :laugh:

Cheers

Roz

Sounds like an internet explorer 7 issue, uninstall it and revert back to I E 6. Regarding Talktalk, we are on talktalk and have experienced problems with their equipment. Are you using the Huawei HG520S wireless modem router? There seems to be a problem with firmware on this particular model OH has rewritten firmware and all is well, being working with talktalk regarding this problem. If you need any more information pm me.