UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chins/degus Anyone?

KathyM

Forgot to ask - if anyone knows a friendly chin board can they let me know the link? Sadly the one I joined for advice is just really horrible and unwelcoming. I keep getting drilled with questions and when I try to answer, the answers are deleted. Also got "Don't come running to us when your chinchilla dies" (this was for posting about her temporary cage), which I think is really friendly. :mecry:

Theres lots of boards, but sadly like with all forums ive yet to find one that dont have the "cliques".....im a fellow chinnie owner, and think we should start our own little club on the Refuge, lol!! :wink: :laugh:

And Cilla..... :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to ask - if anyone knows a friendly chin board can they let me know the link? Sadly the one I joined for advice is just really horrible and unwelcoming. I keep getting drilled with questions and when I try to answer, the answers are deleted. Also got "Don't come running to us when your chinchilla dies" (this was for posting about her temporary cage), which I think is really friendly. :mecry:

I would read the replies carefully if I were you Kathy as you will find that is not correct :wacko:

In fairness it appears to me that you wanted members to agree that plastic shelves etc were ok and in all honesty experienced , knowledgeable chin owners will not do that as they do not agree with plastic for chins

Here we go again - plastic shelves are temporary and hardly worth telling someone "Don't come running to us if your chin dies" for. I'm not sure whether you're choosing not to read anything I say, I've pointed that out to you several times now and all you have is criticism. No support. No understanding. And that is visible on this thread also. For the last time I do appreciate your advice, now please stop ramming it down my throat when I've already accepted it!!! :rolleyes:

ETA: I'm very sorry mods, but I feel completely harrassed with this. I've said repeatedly that this cage is temporary AND that I have a backup all metal cage should she chew the shelves. I'm not sure what else I'm meant to do to please Mrs O, and now I'm being followed here to be called a bad owner too.

Edited by KathyM

The petshop in the village up the road from me had chins and I must admit that I was a tiny bit besotted. I say had, as when the place recently changed hands, the new owners decided not to stock any animals/fish at all :)

I don't think I'd know where to start though, regardless of how besotted I am :rolleyes: I know where I am with dogs :laugh:

Theres lots of boards, but sadly like with all forums ive yet to find one that dont have the "cliques".....im a fellow chinnie owner, and think we should start our own little club on the Refuge, lol!! :wink: :laugh:

And Cilla..... :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ace idea!! And thanks very much!

I am sorry Kathy but you cant say the forum is not friendly,Ok some member may have gone OTT but you where given some good advice on the forum

I personaly would never keep mixed species in a cage as even if there is the slightest risk that is something I would not be prepared to take.

You where also told about the plastic shelves and you say you have another cage incase she does chew the plastic,well what happens if she chews them all night when chins are most active?

Thanks everyone - like I have said in both places, I do appreciate the advice. I am (if I'm optimistic about it) average in intelligence, and I reckon I'm capable of taking on board people's often differing advice and making informed choices for myself and my pets. And I think that's enough about that.

Cilla is settling in very well and appreciates the attention on here!

Thanks Sarah, and thank you for being there for advice too, you've been amazing. :flowers:

Can I ask a bit more of the chin folks here now then? Now she's in and safe, can I have some tips on what she needs in the long run (that hasn't already been covered)? At the moment I have very little knowledge of their seasons/reproductive health (eg. risks of mammary issues, spaying etc), so any info on that would be much appreciated, as would any advice on company etc. Are neutered male chins rare in rescue? Will she take to another female?

Thanks

Kathy

xx

She is gorgeous Kathy :wub:

Looks like a violet from the photo - my first rescue chin was a violet. :)

I have a little book that you would be most welcome to have - contains all the basics.

Neutered males aren't that uncommon in rescues - although I had to get mine done.

Thanks Sarah, and thank you for being there for advice too, you've been amazing. :flowers:

Can I ask a bit more of the chin folks here now then? Now she's in and safe, can I have some tips on what she needs in the long run (that hasn't already been covered)? At the moment I have very little knowledge of their seasons/reproductive health (eg. risks of mammary issues, spaying etc), so any info on that would be much appreciated, as would any advice on company etc. Are neutered male chins rare in rescue? Will she take to another female?

Thanks

Kathy

xx

No probs :blush02:

Female chins aren't generally neutered unless they need to be. Company is pretty much a must but they can be quite erm challenging to introduce! She may well take to another female but it depends a lot on individual personalities. A neutered male is probably a more likely bet and most single males that come through rescues such as Emma and us will be neutered. There's still no guarantee of easy intros though and it's usually a fair bit harder than rats. I can give you some tips when the time comes though :) Of course your easiest intro would be baby female but they don't come up in rescue all that often. It is worth looking around though.

She is gorgeous Kathy :wub:

Looks like a violet from the photo - my first rescue chin was a violet. :)

She is beautiful, but i have to wager a guess as a hetero beige, a lovely warmy colour :wub:

Sproggies given good advice. Most of my males ive had to pair up myself, and none are neutured, so it can be done (i have 5 girls in a seperate room :wub: to reduce the smell of them and causing squabbles! :rolleyes: ) Like Sproggie said, think of them as mini people and you wont go far wrong., People dont get on with some others at all no matter what, people may get on with some but needs a break from them every now and then (big cage comes in handy here), some can take months to get them happy in the cage together, but on the flip side, there are lots who bond straight away :biggrin:

I think Cilla would like a bit of company, i hate having mine on their own and try and pair them up as quick as i can, but shes got your undivided attention, so i guess theres no rush :wink: Enjoy her!!

Try her on mini shredded wheats as a more healthier treat than raisins -NEVER give nuts (bad for thier digestive system) and always give them something to do -too clever are our babies!! :laugh:

Im sure youll be grand :GroupHug: