UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flyball

phoenix

benjamin my gsd x collie is going to attempt flyball, as a class has just started reasonably near, can anyone give me any tips on what to take apart from pooh bags and treats, and what to expect as this is my 1st class, ever, in anything, and the only thing i know about flyball is from still photos i have seen on the forums, so i get the gist and i think ben will love it, BUT i was very quick to say me me me when i heard about the new class without thinking as what to expect, or if i would be any good at it :rolleyes: typical me feet first, brain engaged at a later date :laugh:

Nothing to worry about really, expect lots of very excited dogs (and owners) lots of being ridiculous to get your dogs attention and lots of general mayhem and madness!!!

All you will need to take is treats (and a toy if he is more focussed on a toy?), poo bags, and a harness if he is used to wearing one, if not its no problem, he can get used to it at a later date (or some dogs don't wear one at all, just tends to be easier to keep hold of them in a harness!!).

When we have new starters at our club we start with run backs - basically the flyball jumps are set up with netting down either side of them, you take the dog over the first jump to an extra person there, take the lead off then run back over the jump squealing your head off, they will release Benjamin, hopefully he will run after you to get loads of fuss/play/food (whatever rocks his boat). You will then move on to running back over more jumps until he is running back from the box. That can sometimes be enought for some dogs on the first go, others will be able to be introduced to a ball in the box area to fetch back or even be introduced to the box itself - totally depends on how the dog takes to it all.

It will be great fun for you and him - although possibly a little overwhelming for you both. Just make sure he has plenty of breaks as he will tire quickly mentally from all the stuff going on. Go for it and enjoy yourself - and make sure you let us know how you get on.

Hope to see you at a show before too long (where abouts are you??)

lots of being ridiculous to get your dogs attention and lots of general mayhem and madness!!!

i should fit in perfectly then, it will be just like home :biggrin:

i'm in the torbay area of devon but the classes are being held in exeter

i should fit in perfectly then, it will be just like home :biggrin:

i'm in the torbay area of devon but the classes are being held in exeter

Fab, sounds like you are ideal for the lunacy of the flyball world. Probably won't meet up too many times in competition cos we are oop north, but we might see you at the Summer Championships if you go along.

Hope all goes well at practice and you catch the flyball bug!!!