UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tv Dog Trainers

cheryl33

I think Mic is brill!! Some of his methods are abit 'old school' but his love of the dogs is apparent and respect of the dogs needs to work make him a good trainer in my opinion. Also he's a Staffy fan too which helps!! :laugh: :laugh:

I also think Rob is a lovely trainer, he has a great way of comminicating with people.

I think Mic is the most honest of the lot of them, even if I don't agree with his methods. i like straight talkers.

Rob, on the other hand, is totally two-faced. He talks about positive training but uses punishment all the time. How could I have any respect for someone who can't teach a dog to leave without scaring it with a rattle bottle? He is far more dangerous than Mic because of his people skills - seems so nice and plausible.

Pam

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, on the other hand, is totally two-faced. He talks about positive training but uses punishment all the time. How could I have any respect for someone who can't teach a dog to leave without scaring it with a rattle bottle? He is far more dangerous than Mic because of his people skills - seems so nice and plausible.

Pam

Agree with you on that one, Rob and the lady trainer are just too keen on those bottles, they don't even use them properly, the first time I read about using sound aversion was in a Roger Mugford book where he said to drop the bottle ( it was actually a tin with small pebbles ) near the dog, not intimidate and frighten the dog ,which is what this pair seem to do, I also saw the lady trainer use Training Disks incorrectly, you are supposed to teach the dog that the noise of the discs mark a non reward, she threw them at the poor dog and frightened it half to death :(

I'm just a 'simple' :rolleyes: dog owner and so my comments are just based totally upon my experience of dog owning rather than any skill set gained.

As an adult I have only brought up 1 dog from a pup - Ruby, our 4 yr old Lab. If I were to get a pup again then there will be some things I would do differently, but in the main, she's a good egg and a pretty steady girl.

I took advice from Fora/Forums (never sure which it should be) such as this one and also from watching TV dog traing shows / reading books.

I do have Jan Fennells 2 books and in the main I have used a few of her advice techniques - in the main, the few minutes of ignoring the dog jumping up when you come home from work and the same for when visitors arrive.

I must say I do watch Cesar Milan's show and I don't like all I see (esp. those horrid claw collar things they seem to favour in the USA) however, as a 'layman' I don't always see the danger that someone with a professional eye will notice. I haven't seen all his shows, but those I have seen I notice that the dog appears 'cured' of the problem and when the follow up is shown the owners are generally positive in confirming that the unwanted behaviour has stopped / subsided. However, they would say that I suppose ?

I like Victoria Stillwell as her show seems to be more focused upon the training and the reason behind using the particular method she has chosen for that dog - and these methods do seem to vary from dog to dog......as you would expect.

Dog Borstal - I feel that they all use the same types of method for most of the dogs they have come in. OK, Mick varies between doing agility or seeking out exercises - maybe a 2 trick pony rather than Lynne and Rob who seem to favour the 'rattle' process.

We were out on a walk yesterday and there was a lady across the road from us whose dog was making a whimpering type noise and pulling towards Ruby (we were on opposite sides of the pavement). All along the pavement the lady was shaking her rattle can in front of her dogs nose as s/he continued to look backwards at Ruby whimpering. I thought the rattle was more of a 'short sharp shock' so to speak rather than a prolonged measure ?

As an aside - I found this guy when I was looking on YouTube. I'd be interested to see what people make of him ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukpcZynEgNw

I like Mic Martin. I also like his most of his training methods ( being an ex Army Handler I know his style lol lol ), he is also one of the few I see who give the dogs an out let, many dogs that come on to dog Borstal are the way they are because of their owners, and while the "trainers" fix them Mic is one of the few who gives the dogs a "job" to do, I think it's great to see dogs who are on their last "warning" so to speak with their owners and many with the public at large come out of their happier dogs and with something that works both their body, mind and in fact turn out to be great at agility or search dogs.. He maybe harsh with owners but I'm sure he just says what most people are thinking when they first see the intro's with the dogs and owners and I think he's main interest and concern if for the dogs and not about hurting the owners feelings. I remember watching the Rott that was a nightmare and he told the owner that he didn't think she was the right owner for the dog and she should give him up as he would make a great police or Army dog, the dog LOVED Mic, to the extent that he couldn't even be in the dogs sight when he was training, the owner after that kick up the ass turned out to be a star as did her dog.. :wub: :wub: :wub: :laugh:

Edited by Kim

Oh my God, how boring was he (the You Tube Man)! I switched off after five minutes, he just used a lot more words to say what other people/authors have said and nothing new to say about training techniques i.e. hands off training, withholding a reward. He was quite creepy in fact :worried_anim: He got my hopes up at the beginning because I thought he was going to make the point that dogs aren't wolves but, alas, he didn't :(

Edited by Rudi

Oh my God, how boring was he (the You Tube Man)! I switched off after five minutes, he just used a lot more words to say what other people/authors have said and nothing new to say about training techniques i.e. hands off training, withholding a reward. He was quite creepy in fact :worried_anim: He got my hopes up at the beginning because I thought he was going to make the point that dogs aren't wolves but, alas, he didn't :(

Did you think so ? Did you view any of his other videos, traing tricks etc withy clicker ?

Did you think so ? Did you view any of his other videos, traing tricks etc withy clicker ?

I watched some of the limping one and teaching the dog to stay - I suppose you don't get many people on 'TV' actually using a clicker but what he's doing isn't 'new' as such he teaches stay the way I've been taught to with my dogs although I don't correct by touching the dog when I'm teaching it. I did like the fact that he introduced a 'wrong' word - some people use 'no' or 'wrong' his is 'ah ah'. Interesting to see someone using a clicker I guess and his dog clearly understands what's going on as it was offering behaviours but I do find him too irritating to be engaging - probably more interesting if he showed a lot more actual training rather than him on a settee :) If you think of all the obedience dogs and heelwork to music dogs and stuff - many of them are taught by shaping behaviours with a clicker, it's also become increasingly popular in other dog sports too :)

:laugh: have to laugh at Rudi's post about the YouTube guy, I've seen him before and I never realised he was a tad creepy untill Rudi pointed it out :laugh:

Apart from being a bit of a creep I think he's pretty good, I must admit I didn't watch all of his blurb about dogs as I too got bored part way through, but his clicker training ( what I saw of it ) was sound.

If I had to choose a trainer from DB it would be Mic, I'm always amazed by the amount of dogs that latch onto him and even though he is old school he tends to give the dogs something positive to do and works on making the owner more interesting and worth being round to the dog. But if I had my choice of any trainer/behaviourist it would have to be Peter Neville :wub:

I watched some of the limping one and teaching the dog to stay - I suppose you don't get many people on 'TV' actually using a clicker but what he's doing isn't 'new' as such he teaches stay the way I've been taught to with my dogs although I don't correct by touching the dog when I'm teaching it. I did like the fact that he introduced a 'wrong' word - some people use 'no' or 'wrong' his is 'ah ah'. Interesting to see someone using a clicker I guess and his dog clearly understands what's going on as it was offering behaviours but I do find him too irritating to be engaging - probably more interesting if he showed a lot more actual training rather than him on a settee :) If you think of all the obedience dogs and heelwork to music dogs and stuff - many of them are taught by shaping behaviours with a clicker, it's also become increasingly popular in other dog sports too :)

Food for thought for the likes of me, thanks for that :flowers:

I quite warmed to him though - isn't it funny how people can percieve others in different ways ? That's for a whole different thread though eh ? :laugh:

Thanks again

I love Mic, I think he is great and I love Cesar Milan and Victoria Stillwell too (how does she manage to wear black and not get covered in dog hair? :rolleyes: )

I'm a fan of Jan Fennell as well, have seen her a few years ago. I know she is very old school but some of the stuff she says makes sense :laugh:

xx