UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Fostered An Abused Puppy?

meandmy4?

benjamin (GSD) came to us as a 12 wk old abused foster pup, we had to almost completely ignore him no eye contact ect, and if i were to shout a one of the kids or raise a hand quickly he would cower and pee (i had to learn not to do this) he attached himself to our eldest daughter and only she could touch him with out him being scared, it was a very slow process but over the months he allowed others to stroke him, we decided that with the bond he had with our daughter and the progress we had made, it would be unfair for him to start over again in another home so we kept him, (espesialy as he was VERY destructive) hes 3 now, and still struggles with eye contact when visitors come, so even 3 yrs on we are still telling people to ignore him, i know it seems unatural to have a puppy and completely shun him, but ben just didnt cope with attention in any shape or form and this is how we overcame it, time and patience are the key

Have dealt with an older abused dog. Let him have a place in the home where he feels safe and secure and is left alone completely. Let him come to you on his terms. It's gently gently slowly slowly. No arguments in the house. Not too much noise. He needs a relaxed atmosphere. Not saying you do argue. Don't try and molly coddle him. If he's terrified when going out I wouldn't take him right now. Try him on lead in the house to start with. Lots of praise and treats or food that he likes. If he will take them from you. Again don't force yourself onto him. When he gets used to the lead in the house take him in the garden. Same again lots of praise. Then start taking him on very small walks outside and build up from there. If he doesn't like the other dogs (is scared of them) then keep them away from him too. His confidence will grow when he realises all of you aren't going to hurt him and actually you mean fun. Play with your others still and show them love as normal in front of him. When he continues to see you don't shout at them, hit them etc he'll want to join in at some point. But do leave him to come to you. Every time you approach him at the moment he will be thinking you're going to do something to him. Keep talking to us and update us on his progress and we'll help see you through. Obviously the rescue he's with can help you too.

AAAAH thanks guys knew you guys would help.

Helen from the rescue is coming Friday to spend the morning with him and see what she thinks but has give me the same advice as you guys. He is sleeping on my bed as is completely house trained and last night came up to my chest of his own accord which was nice.