UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Downloadable Printoutable (pdfs?)

Alison

For the White Lodge forum - events, walks, times and venues thereof for the forthcoming 12 months.

It'd be nice to post a document there for members to click on to download, print out and give to people who're not members but who express an interest in joining one of the monthly walks (e.g.) when they meet us on our travels.

I designed something in Publisher but can't save it as a PDF. I don't even know whether this is the best way to do it. It doesn't need to be fancy, really just dates, times and locations would do so maybe a Word document would be better? Jpeg? I'm absolutely clueless. I just know that I find it very easy when I visit a website to click on the Acrobat symbol thing and it brings up what I want to print out.

Help with the above for starters as this is as far as I've got (i.e. a vaguely formed idea :rolleyes: ) but I'd also need to know how to paste it/post it in the appropriate thread. I hope to goodness that this makes some sort of sense.

Mwah, mwah, mwah :flowers: Many thanks in anticipation of your kind assistance, oh Wise Ones! :flowers:

If you want it to print exactly as you designed it, pdf is definitely the best option. You just need an extra gadget that will allow you to save as PDF. Luckily, pdf creation software is freely available - I usually suggest http://www.pdf995.com/ and nobody has had problems with it yet (or at least, if they have, they haven't admitted it to me!)

Once you've installed it you can 'print to pdf' as if pdf was an extra printer installed on your computer.

Word is definitely not the way to go - word documents carry viruses, tend to be large in filesize, require a particular software suite and version and may not work properly/at all for people who don't have that particular program.

You'll need to upload it to somewhere. If you can use FTP, you could put it on the server that way then link to it.

Or does the forum software allow you to attach files? If the software is the same as this I think the ability to do this might live in the Downloads area, but the ability to use it seems to be (sensibly) turned off for ordinary users on this forum. You probably need to be an admin or something.