UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Next Door Neighbours Have New Puppy...

debs1967

It's great that you're concerned, but I must admit - I feel encouraged by the fact the owner is asking questions. They're trying to find out as much as they can, preparing for eventualities before they crop up. They sound like pretty responsible people to me.

Of course they'll make mistakes. Particularly if they've not grown up with dogs in the home. I grew up with dogs when I lived with my mother, and even I had a steep learning curve when I got my first dog after moving into my own home.

They're asking questions, which shows they care. That counts for a lot in my book.

Well done you for being there for them.

Ditto to that. They dont sound like horrendous owners to me, at least they care - which is more than many dog owners nowadays.

TBH, if you keep pushing, it will come across as meddling (ie why not just recommend the book instead of buying it for them) :mellow:

I'm not meaning to be funny - but it could come across as you sticking your nose in when really it's not necessary. Let them know you're there if you need them, then take a step back and let them learn. Whilst leaving a pup all day isn't ideal, it certainly doesn't sound like a case of abuse or bad ownership - just new dog owners who need to learn. And it might just be that they have been researching more than you think, or have other plans.

Much worse owners out there. Just because we live and breathe dogs doesn't mean everyone else does, and those who dont are naff owners :flowers:

Im afraid I dont agree with all the comments.

A 10 week old pup needs regular feeding - it will still be on 3/4 meals a day - followed by toilet time. What about all the things you have to watch for in a youngster - what if its sick, pups go downhill so quickley. What if it chews its blanket and gets thread stuck.

It may be that someone pops in during the day but at such a young age there really should be someone there all the time. Most pups dont leave their Mum until 8 weeks - this is just two weeks on from there.

Im sorry but the thought of a 10 weeks old pup all alone in a crate just 2 weeks after leaving Mum to me is wrong. :(

Comlpetely agree, I wouldn't recommend a pup for a full time worker, but that's not to say that these people are bad owners, just different.

We cant base whether they're good owners or not on the assumptions made by their nextdoor neighbour.

Interesting how this thread has developed into Chinese Whispers! I haven't said that my neighbours are horrendous owners, they are very nice people! My OP said I'm concerned how they will provide for the social needs of their new puppy given that they are out of the house alot. I haven't said anyone else is a bad owner for that matter. They haven't asked lots of questions, just the one about the boarding kennels.

I do know that the puppy is on his own in the day during the week. I can hear his distressed cries and howls when I get home from work at lunchtime. I'm sure all you dog lovers out there would be upset by this too.

As for

I personally would be more worried about the amount of intimate/private details you know about your neighbours!
we do speak to them (and knowing where they work and when they go out or on holiday is hardly intimate or private!) Hence my offer to look after pup for part of the day, which has so far been declined.

A 10 week old pup needs regular feeding - it will still be on 3/4 meals a day - followed by toilet time. What about all the things you have to watch for in a youngster - what if its sick, pups go downhill so quickley. What if it chews its blanket and gets thread stuck.

It may be that someone pops in during the day but at such a young age there really should be someone there all the time. Most pups dont leave their Mum until 8 weeks - this is just two weeks on from there.

Im sorry but the thought of a 10 weeks old pup all alone in a crate just 2 weeks after leaving Mum to me is wrong.

Thank you Shazzy :flowers: that was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if anyone misunderstood me.

Edited by debs1967