UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

If You Don't Mind Your Dog....

Alison

:unsure: Hmmm. I'm not sure whether this is a recommendation or not - all I can say is that I absolutely love the place.

I've just returned from a holiday where I stayed in the home of friends in the same village yet we went to the Lukashansl for a gluhwein most evenings - it's such a relaxed and convivial place. It's my lodging of choice when I'm on business in the area and my friends are away for the summer, but I've not actually stayed there in the winter. I know they run ski school holidays amongst other things then.

Attention to the needs and comfort of human guests is great but definitely comes second to that of dogs and children. Not only that, but there are times when (as a paying guest) one is fully expected to participate in the care of both! :wacko: It's owned and run by an extended family and there are dogs and kids all over the place, really more like a kibbutz than an hotel.

Reception........

CopyofP1010407.jpg

......doesn't always look like this - just most of the time. :rolleyes: (Missing from the photo are the sulky teenage daughter who is usually chatting to her friends online on the computer shown here and the high chair which belongs to the latest family baby).

Resident boy Blitz who makes it his business to know where every single child is at every moment of the day or night (both his "own" - many - and the guests' kids too). Each time I meet him I put a GSD on my wish list for the future - he's such a gentle, impressive dog and the way he looks after children is just something else. :wub:

Blitz.jpg

Just to give an insight as to the "casual" nature of things at the Lukashansl, I found a large nugget of horse manure on his bed one morning when I called in for coffee. I scritched his ears and joked with him that there'd be trouble when his dad found out. The manure stayed there for 3 days :sick01: I mentioned it to the owner of a St Bernard, a local resident who nips in for a beer each evening with his dog (predictably named Beethoven). I mentioned it on that day in particular because - at long last - the hotelier had finally removed Blitz's stinky treasure.

Erm, actually he hadn't - Beethoven had pinched it and put it under one of the tables in the bar. It was back in Blitz's bed again the next day. :laugh:

Beethoven.jpg

Me with Beethoven, insisting on a tummy tickle :wub:

I've also seen a Bernese mountain dog belonging to a regular at the bar lying upside down and being groomed on the rug by the fire - a carrier bag full of combs, brushes, Frontline etc. all on the table. This sort of thing is regarded as perfectly normal at the Lukashansl. :mellow:

CopyofLiesl.jpg

You may be waiting to be served with a drink/food, but if a child needs a cuddle from the waitress, that's what takes priority. I've also noticed that as soon as anyone walks through the door with a hound, a bowl of water for the dog is produced instantly and the client's order is taken afterwards! :laugh:

Seriously, if you're expecting 5 star refined luxury, this really isn't the place for you and I couldn't recommend it as such. However, if you're looking for a homely place to stay that not only welcomes dogs but treats them as VIPs home from home, you could (IMHO) find nowhere finer. Likewise, I find the eccentric aspect of the place just priceless.

It is so friendly, welcoming and inclusive that I, for one, am just charmed to bits by the atmosphere and hope that if the owners see what I've written here they don't sue me for libel! :laugh: