UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Care For An Oldie Collie

sallyandyoyosmum

Hi!

I was looking after my mum's colli/GSD x, who is 14, yesterday while my parents were away.

I came away very distressed actually, because it seems to me that Sundae has deteriorated quite badly.

She has suffered with arthritis since she was 9, but it has been kept under control with medication, short frequent walks and a change of food.

Yesterday, she seemed to be in agony - couldn't stand without me lifting her up, sitting down again took ages and made me wince as it looked so painful, and when I walked her she fell over, after I picked her up, she walked so slowly it broke my heart to watch.

I love oldie dogs - I only rehome oldies - but I know it comes to a point when their quality of life non-existant. I love Sundae soooo much, she's been the family pet since we rehomed her when I was I was 12, and last night as I was hugging her I felt really teary because I couldn't bear thinking "it" and felt really guilty for thinking maybe it was nearly time..........

Obviously it has to be my mum's decision. Think she feels that because sundae wags her tail alot and loves her cuddles and is happy a lot of the time, that it isn't time yet.....

It's always a horrible point to get to.

Does anyone have any advice about how to make this poor oldie more comfortable at least?

My friend has a 14 year old retriever whose joints started to deteriorate rapidly about 9 months ago and her back legs kept giving way. My friend bought a bioflow collar and the difference is unbelievable. Lulu is now a different dog ... worth a try I would think. She also gives her glocosamine and chondroitin daily which seems to make a difference too. Good luck

:GroupHug: Have your parents tried hydrotherapy with her? It is known to be good for athritis as they exercise without the strain and in return regain/keep muscle which helps them getting around.

I guess she is getting metacam or rhymadil? How about adding something like Synflex? Only heard good things about it.

Either way, a load of these for you :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will tell my mum about the magnetic collar, she was talking last night about when the times happens, she will pay for the vet to come to their home and have it done there....think she is starting to accept the inevitable, and alreday knows it will be the last xmas, so we will make it so special, all the dogs (mine and sundae) will have agreat day....hopefully a magnetic collar will help. Does anyone know where we may be able to get one? I can buy it as her xmas pressie.

Hope everyone and their dogs have a lovely xmas.

I will pass on those hugs to sundae

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx