UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oldie With Wee Problem....please Advise!

Sams Mum

Any help/advice welcome please!

My old staffie boy has been with us a year now. He came from The Oldies Club. He had 2 'accidents' after arriving - both my fault due to comming home late at lunchtime to let him do his business. Otherwise he has been as good as gold - until the fireworks started....

Since the w'end before 5th Nov (when the fireworks started round here) he has changed. He puts himself to bed early, slips his harness in an attempt to get home when having his evening walk & has wee'd in the house several days in a row (usually, but not always, when its starts to get dark). Today, when my husband got home (it was getting dark) he wee'd just as my hubby went to get his shoes on to take him out. He was really scared by the fireworks when they were going off - we had to cuddle him all evening and one of us stayed up in the bedroom with him. I wonder if he now associates darkness with fireworks? Can anyone help please? Otherwise he is well, no bowel probs and eating well like Staffies do. No diet changes or anything else different.

Thanking you all in advance for you advice.

You probably didn't do him any favours by cuddling him when he was worried, as you may have confirmed his fears of the "scary noises" by doing so.

Are you home with him during the day? If so, make sure he gets lots of toilet breaks, treat him a bit like a puppy and take him out regularly after meals and sleep (and playtime, if he still plays). So that he will not meet the evening with a full bladder.

Also you can try "rescue remedy". It is drops that you can put directly on his tongue or put straight in his drinking water, they can help him after a stressful time. We used them when we moved in together and our girls (dogs not children lol) had to get used to each other.

Try not to make a big deal out of the darkness, be happy and cheerful, but don't force him out if he is so stressed he is trying to slip his harness, as you can turn a firework problem into a general darkness problem if he gets to practice the behaviour for too long. Maybe he can have his last toilet break in the garden? Bribe him if you have to, anything that is positive and works, goes for conquering fear :biggrin:

Good luck.

You probably didn't do him any favours by cuddling him when he was worried, as you may have confirmed his fears of the "scary noises" by doing so.

Are you home with him during the day? If so, make sure he gets lots of toilet breaks, treat him a bit like a puppy and take him out regularly after meals and sleep (and playtime, if he still plays). So that he will not meet the evening with a full bladder.

Also you can try "rescue remedy". It is drops that you can put directly on his tongue or put straight in his drinking water, they can help him after a stressful time. We used them when we moved in together and our girls (dogs not children lol) had to get used to each other.

Try not to make a big deal out of the darkness, be happy and cheerful, but don't force him out if he is so stressed he is trying to slip his harness, as you can turn a firework problem into a general darkness problem if he gets to practice the behaviour for too long. Maybe he can have his last toilet break in the garden? Bribe him if you have to, anything that is positive and works, goes for conquering fear :biggrin:

Good luck.

Thank you for that - I will try all your suggestions. Didnt think of the fact I was confirming his problem by cuddling him - nor of the fact I could turn it all into a real issue re Darkness! I have Rescue Remedy so will use this too.

My Dylan is bad with the fireworks and I really noticed that even on nights when there were no fireworks he was scared to go outside, and would creep around (when he went out at all) staring up at the sky, not weeing, and then come back in. I jollied him along, going out myself, just chatting cheerfully, and though for the first couple of nights I did it he still didn't want to go out, it seemed to give him confidence and he is now back to normal.

Like Doggie Mum says, I find being as relaxed as possible when the dogs are scared really helps - made a big difference with Dyl. If you find he's still scared, even though teh fireworks have stopped, go right back to bascis - not forcing anything. Maybe do things a little differently (i.e. change your routine when going out on walks) to rebuild a new and positive association - ge thim to sit for ttreats while you're getting ready to go out, or something, just to make it nice and positive.

I used Rescue Remedy but also the homeopathic phosphurous (sp?) based Anxiety ( I think its called Anxiety TFLN - thunder, fireworks & loud noises) version and that was brilliant.

Good luck xx

Snoopey was very strange for a few days around 'firework season' which seems to get longer each year... very scared even on her walks only wanting to go halfway up the woods just in case she heard the noise again, panting & not wanting to go out at night - I ignored the i'm not going in the woods & kept on walking she soon followed! had to physically carry her outside at night when the fireworks stopped, (no way she could go all night & would be more upset if she had an accident as they do if they don't go out!)shut the back door so she couldn't go in & wait with her for a few nights, lots of praise & a treat when she did her tinkle & she seems back to normal now. Horrible for them as must be so scarey :unsure:

Good Luck hopefully he will soon forget & maybe get some rescue remedy for new years eve, I know I will if Snoops is still with me & not gone to her forever home :mellow: !