UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Setting Up Websites

Catherine

Umm - that's a 'how long is a piece of string!' question!

I develop and promote websites for a living. What I usually do when people ring me up about a new project is ask these questions:

What's the website about?

Have you decided how big it will be in terms of number of pages?

What sort of people is this website aimed at?

Why will they want to go to the website?

(this is a really important one and it's amazing how many people have not thought about this bit!)

What do you want them to do as a result of going to the website (phone you? email you? go away thinking differently about an issue? buy something? Learn something?)

How often do you think the website will need to be updated?

Have you got a web address in mind for your new website?

And of course:

What sort of person are you, the website owner? Do you enjoy design? Do you use websites such as forums a lot? Do you like computers? Do you get frustrated if things don't work you expected right away?*

*Actually I don't usually ask that one straight out, but I'm looking for the answer in the answers to the other questions. That one tells you whether this is the sort of project where you give someone a bit of a push and then they go charging off on their own to uproarious success, or if it's a project where more hand-holding will be needed.

The freeby offers are a good deal for some quite limited jobs, but whether it would be worth your while doing something like that really depends on lots of other factors.