UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

'chunky' Labs

Ruby1Nic

Well, another super day today so we set off to the beach. We had to take a detour somewhere first and happened upon a family with their female black Lab.

I've not seen such a chunky girl really :( As Ruby and her new friend were getting acquainted, it was so noticeable how big this other girly was against Ruby - and Ruby is no skinny minnie either. See pic taken earlier this year. She's about 30-32 kg which is the upper end of 'ideal weight' I understand. So, we are always careful with her food / treats etc.

DSCF0044.jpg

this poor girl was so large she was like a seal when I petted her and ran my hands along her - rolls of fat bless her. The man said something along the lines of, she's settled down now as she 4 1/2 and we explained Ruby was 4 in September - she looked like a puppy against their's (IMO the reason she was so 'settled' was that she was out of breath just mucking about with Ruby for 2 minutes !)

It's so hard to try and talk 'weight issues' with people as you don't want to hurt feelings and after all, you've only just bumped into them, don't know them and who's to say whether the dog has a medical condition - hence the size.

It was just such a shame to see such a marked difference in 2 dogs of the same age.

:angry: I find it very difficult when I see a dog thats too fat to enjoy a walk ! my 2 are carrying a little weight but not enough to hinder their needs .... a bit like myself actually :rolleyes:

Its a shame you feel like shaking the daft people that ruin their dogs lives by feeding them to death :(

Interesting one. I see so many seriously overweight dogs and people who could possibly benefit from a few words. For instance in P@H a lady was talking about her young lab. She bought her a muzzle to stop her chewing in the house and was complaining about her chewing up the garden instead, she was buying her a choke chain to stop her pulling on the lead and was going to stop walking her until she was more controllable. Lots of times words are on the tip of my tongue but I never do say anything and I sometimes wonder if that's actually the best thing to do? Not that I know any better but I think we all need pointers over certain issues that people are too polite to mention.