UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Computer Assistance Please

Alison

I'd be so grateful if anyone can help - apologies to all those more switched-on that me (that'll be everyone then :rolleyes: ) for the foolish terms used, hope you know what I mean coz this really is driving me nuts!

I connect to broadband

I click on the start menu and then select Internet Explorer on the side panel thingy to the left of the screen

My homepage (browser/both?) is Google

I type something in (e.g. Warehouse Express) and a page listing options comes up

I select the website I want, but instead of going to the site, a message appears asking me if my computer is runnning more slowly than usual etc., tells me to "click here" to download Malware Alarm now.

Obviously I don't want to and click on the red cross at the top right hand side of the box. Numerous other boxes appear and I do the same with them, very quickly

Everything I have open then closes :mad:

I experienced a similar problem during the summer and was advised to download Mozilla Firefox as my browser. I did, used it for a while then it stopped working and still isn't. For some reason at that point Google had stopped redirecting me to undesirable places and I've been Googling again without a problem for months now. I've just uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it but to no avail (I did switch the computer off and back on again after doing so). I type my search into the box but it does nothing when I hit "enter" on my keyboard

I accessed The Refuge now by clicking on the magnifying glass at the top of the toolbar thing which opens a separate column on the left hand side of the screen saying "find a web page containing".

Although this computer is anti-virused and has a firewall, its not actually my own computer so I don't know what the progs involved are.

I want to be able to Google again! Help! Please! :flowers:

Profound apologies for putting mods to the trouble of having to move this. :flowers: I'll get around to finding my way round all these interesting places here one day! :rolleyes:

Edited to say that I was rather hoping that Snow would take pity on me Sam!

Edited by Alison