UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogstar In Sri Lanka Part 2

Hollysdad

What a fantastic account of what you're both achieving over there. Get writing a book - it would become a best seller and then theres the movie rights :biggrin: . Seriously though, I do think a written account of what you've achieved and how far Dogstar has come since the beginning would make fab reading. I'd definitely buy a copy. :flowers:

It's just amazing what you chaps are doing - totally take my hat off to the pair of you. :flowers:

Your accounts and photos and video make my eyes leak. Just a whole mix of sadness and hope and love all rolled into one.

Do any of the dogs ever get rehomed though? Or do they just continue to live at the temple? (sorry if this has already been talked about before - I've not been around the Refuge much and have only just picked up on what Dogstar are doing out there....!)

Rosie x

Do any of the dogs ever get rehomed though? Or do they just continue to live at the temple? (sorry if this has already been talked about before - I've not been around the Refuge much and have only just picked up on what Dogstar are doing out there....!)

Rosie x

Hi Rosie,

not sure if we have discussed it but Mark and I are always happy to answer questions ( any excuse to talk about our lovely Temple dogs :wub: )

we have no problems at all rehoming Male dogs from the Temple once they are Rabies Vaccinated , we do however struggle with girls

all of our current dogs ( 25 ) are girlies, those that are old enough have been spayed but the risk is that some of them may fall pregnant before they are done ( which is what happened with Mango and Truffles )

The trainee vets are working on some documents for me in Sinhala explaining that as we will sterilise all the dogs when they are old enough that actually there is no difference between taking a girl or boy pup

Have been told various different reasons for why people only want boys including

they make better guard dogs/ protect the house and family

they won't get pregnant

Boys are better

Religious / traditional reasons ( although the monks are at a loss to explain this view point as its not there belief )

Sri Lanka is a very male dominated society so maybe its a reflection of the overall country :unsure:

I think longer term we can change the views of the local people by providing them with factual information written by the vets and handed out by the Monks ( 2 very well respected sections of the community )

First of all, Martin and I really enjoyed the video! Lovely to see then so happy. I do not think they eat particularly fast, considering the sircumstances, I have a couple of girls here who would hoover those plates at much quicker rate if they had to share that way, and only one of them has ever known hunger (and not for the last 8 years).

Secondly, is there a good reason why you do not spay pregnant dogs? Would you do it if it was very early pregnancy? Is there a medical reason why it can't be done?

Wonderful work you do, and another vote from us that Mark and yourself should get to writing that book !! :flowers:

Edited by doggie mum

Secondly, is there a good reason why you do not spay pregnant dogs? Would you do it if it was very early pregnancy? Is there a medical reason why it can't be done?

there are quite a few reasons,

My Vets are all practising Buddhists

The Monks would not allow it to be done in the Temple grounds

If we did get to a situation where a vet would do it , it could not be done as mobile clinic surgery

post op care could only be provided at the Uni Hospital

we have to work within the social, cultural and medical limitations of the country and every thing is a balancing act. Sterilisation is culturally acceptable so preventing pregnancy is the method we are using

What a fantastic account of what you're both achieving over there. Get writing a book - it would become a best seller and then theres the movie rights :biggrin: . Seriously though, I do think a written account of what you've achieved and how far Dogstar has come since the beginning would make fab reading. I'd definitely buy a copy. :flowers:

I agree, a book would be brilliant, and there should a tv series of it on animal planet too....