UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Diabetes Insipidus

Kim

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this? My baby Rott Kochyse, has been at the vets over the last few weeks having a multitude of tests. His symptoms are excessive water drinking, I had to monitor the drinking in the house, I have 3 dogs but the household intake of water was 15 Litres per day and 13 of them were by Kochyse, he is a 2 year old entire male, other that his drinking he is very lean 33kg end of Sept weight, his weight fluctuates, when he got his jabs in late May he was 43kg, two weeks after the 33kg end of Sept weigh in he was 36.5kg :unsure: We have had all test run, but the Vets seem to think it is diabetes insipidus, as his urine is like water, he is not keeping clean over night any more. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this or share there experiences...

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this? My baby Rott Kochyse, has been at the vets over the last few weeks having a multitude of tests. His symptoms are excessive water drinking, I had to monitor the drinking in the house, I have 3 dogs but the household intake of water was 15 Litres per day and 13 of them were by Kochyse, he is a 2 year old entire male, other that his drinking he is very lean 33kg end of Sept weight, his weight fluctuates, when he got his jabs in late May he was 43kg, two weeks after the 33kg end of Sept weigh in he was 36.5kg :unsure: We have had all test run, but the Vets seem to think it is diabetes insipidus, as his urine is like water, he is not keeping clean over night any more. Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this or share there experiences...

I'm not clued up on diabetes by any means, but wouldn't him drinking 13 litres a day make his urine like water? I had a quick google earlier and found this link that said:

"Diabetes insipidus (DI) is a disease characterized by excretion of large amounts of severely diluted urine, which cannot be reduced when fluid intake is reduced."

and wondered if Kochyse's water intake has been reduced at all and whether his urine is still like water then? :unsure:

It mentions different tests on that link to see what the DI is caused by. Don't know if that is any help, but I hope you can find something to help him :flowers:

Thanks Ange :flowers: , they will have him in soon to restrict his intake and monitor him, I can't do it at home as dogs with this condition can fall in to coma or even death very quickly from lack of water :unsure: He drinks like he has not drank for hours, my bowls are 1.5 litres and he will empty 2 of them as soon as I put them down.. :wacko: Just wondering if anyone had, had a dog who had suffered from it :wacko:

I haven't had a dog with Diabetes Insipidus but have nursed humans with it although rare. It is caused by the Pituitary Gland not secreting enough of the antidiuretic hormone The treatment I'm sure is the same and treatment is usually with Desmopressin, which can be administered in a nasal spray, or even eye drops. You cannot restrict the water intake or dehydration rapidly follows.The treatment does work very successfully. Hope this helps. :GroupHug:

Im off to the vets in an hour or so with partners dog. Unfortuantly he seems to be drinking alot and is asking to go out every hour or so. Having spoken to vets it could either be him going a little crazy in his old age (he is getting more and more grumpy with us and the other dogs in the house) or he has a infection somewhere or he has some type diabetes. The vets also told us it could be stress because of the house move.

I really hope your dog is ok, we are excatly the same place worrying right now :GroupHug:

Im off to the vets in an hour or so with partners dog. Unfortuantly he seems to be drinking alot and is asking to go out every hour or so. Having spoken to vets it could either be him going a little crazy in his old age (he is getting more and more grumpy with us and the other dogs in the house) or he has a infection somewhere or he has some type diabetes. The vets also told us it could be stress because of the house move.

I really hope your dog is ok, we are excatly the same place worrying right now :GroupHug:

Thanks I hope your partners dog is ok.. It is worrying, Chyse is still his happy nutty wee self, but as you are finding he wants to go out more often and is often not clean through the night, yet he was house trained within a week of being here, he's only just turned two :wub: Let me know how you's got on in the Vets :GroupHug: