UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ear Tip Wound That Keeps Reopening

uke

Poor Ulrich got nipped by Loki last night on the ear. Course it's right on the tip and so every time he shakes his head the wound opens again & sprays blood everywhere. It's too little to stitch and I've no superglue in the house.

I've got him bandaged up & we'll take a trip to the vet as soon as they open. In the meantime - anyone got any good tips on how to keep an ear wound from reopening?

we were advised to wrap a towel round the head

its a bugger to stop them shaking

i guarentee you will be finding little blood splats everywhere for weeks.

ellie cut the tip of her ear a couple of monthsa go and we are still finding the odd splat on the ceiling etc

When Defa cut an ear on brambles, it looked like a slaughterhouse in the kitchen when we got back cos he kept shaking his head.

I got a melolin pad, put that on his ear, and put a peg on it as a pressure point to stop the bleeding [ a lightwight wood peg ], put a nylon stocking `toe` section to hold it in place, then used the rest of the stocking to hold his ear to his head so he could shake if he wanted to without making it bleed - I didnt have a bandage handy :rolleyes: I took him to the vet like that and after the vet finished laughing he did say it was an innovative and effective `dressing ` which had done the trick very well :biggrin:

He had surgical glue on the cut and the vet advised to keep his ear lightly bandaged to his head but with the little cut exposed to the air [ so a gap left around it ] so that if he still wanted to shake it would not reopen the cut but the air could get to the cut, and that worked perfectly.

Being on the tip of the ear I would think the same strategy would work til its completely unless pooch paws at his ear a lot or gets annoyed with the ear being pinned to the head ? A soothing gel approved by the vet [ so as not to interfere with whatever the vet may apply ], would probably help alleviate itching and minimise shaking / pawing while it heals up.